Treatment for Obesity on NHS

This is free of course but in my view the NHS is struggling to stand up and people with serious life threatning illnesses are having to wait lengthy times for treatment yet the NHS has decided to give Obese people who can't stop stuffing there faces with priority...

Only treatment they need is is dieting and exercise:mad:

This is free of course but in my view the NHS is struggling to stand up and people with serious life threatning illnesses are having to wait lengthy times for treatment yet the NHS has decided to give Obese people who can't stop stuffing there faces with priority...

Only treatment they need is is dieting and exercise:mad:

Agreed!

I also fear this will be used as an excuse for some and a cop out to not actually put the hard work in to lose the weight themselves, which I'm not saying is easy but surely major surgery should always be the last option for obesity.

Apparently the FREE NHS will ceased to exist in the next 10 years due to funding so I don't see how this can be justified.

Many people are overweight because of long term medical conditions, and maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Many people are overweight because of long term medical conditions, and maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

People are overweight because they eat too much. Having a medical condition is no excuse for stuffing your fat face with cake.

But mostly people are fat because they eat more calories than they burn. We should certainly not be wasting precious NHS funds on obesity related matters in my opinion.

But mostly people are fat because they eat more calories than they burn. We should certainly not be wasting precious NHS funds on obesity related matters in my opinion.

So where do we draw the line with that one?

No treatment for smokers?

No treatment for anybody who has a sports injury because they chose to play the sport?

No maternity services because anybody who has a baby has 'chosen' to get pregnant? (Yes, I know).

If you start excluding certain groups or making a moral judgement based upon personal values of the patient then where does it stop?

I'm overweight, but I wasn't overweight before I was seriously ill, and much of the weight is from either steroids which were part of my cancer treatment or other medication which has weight gain as a side effect. Am I morally any less repugnant than someone who ate too much as a result of a mental illness?

But we spend loads of money on other addictions like smoking, drugs and alcohol.

The other things our bodies dont need, but we need food. How do you treat people who have an addiction that they can never really stop doing.

Self control isnt always the issue.

Also not all fat people are unhealthy. I'm fat and my gps and nurses are always at the ready to give me a talking to when i come in.. Then they take my bp and do cholesterol readings and shut the hell up. All the other underneath linings that make someone truly and physically unhealthy I do not show any signs of. Only weight is my issue.

My sister is also overweight, but due to actual health reasons. She eats healthy (grows most of her own veg, rarely eats red/pink meat, exercises daily, eats little to no mass processed long life food, and more) She has suffered from PCOS since she was young and her weight has been all over the place. She produces too much testosterone which makes her heavy. Should she stop every person who gives her a filthy look for being overweight and give them her life story?

Not everyone is fat because theyre stuffing their faces with pies and grease.

No treatment for anybody who has a sports injury because they chose to play the sport?

No maternity services because anybody who has a baby has 'chosen' to get pregnant? (Yes, I know).

If you start excluding certain groups or making a moral judgement based upon personal values of the patient then where does it stop?

I'm overweight, but I wasn't overweight before I was seriously ill, and much of the weight is from either steroids which were part of my cancer treatment or other medication which has weight gain as a side effect. Am I morally any less repugnant than someone who ate too much as a result of a mental illness?

Understand what you're trying to say but obesity is a different kettle of fish. Obesity is reversable with a bit of hard work and dedication by the 'sufferer'. It should not require costly medical treatment. How would you have felt about it if some greedy guts got a gastric band fitted, and this took up the NHS funds required to treat your cancer (sorry to hear about that btw, hope you are recovering well), or some much needed treatment for a loved one?

I would be happier with the idea if we were allowed to see the evidence that gastric bands and bypass operations actually work. It seems to me that all they do is temporarily reduce the capacity of the digestive system to accommodate food, which may well result in some short term weight loss. Long term, unless the patient actively changes their eating habits, they can continue to gain weight weight as they simply snack on small amounts (of un-nutritious foodstuffs) all day long. The NHS is underfunded as it is - how can it afford to operate on - potentially - another 850,000 patients?

In fact, a close friend of mine who had a gastric band says she doesn't know why she bothered - it was a highly invasive process, not without risk, which has made no long-term difference - what's left of her stomach has expanded to hold similar quantities of food to what she ate pre-op. She is not stupid and realises that to lose weight she must eat less and move more - and that long term, she needs to re-educate her appetite so that her blood sugar is in balance throughout the day, which will in turn stop her craving sweet and fatty foods.That is why people are fat, on the whole - they need to re-educate their palates to eat far more fresh vegetables and complex carbs and far less refined carbs and fat.

Surely the NHS should be given a huge boost of funding for preventative measures - starting with nutrition and cookery education for all school age children from the day they start to the day they leave school. Many parents (especially those born in the 70s and 80s, the first generation of convenience/ junk food afficianados), have clearly lost the plot as far as food and health go - so someone else has to save the next generation.

Edited by aliceBB

Exactly, when you become overweight, due to a condition such as underactive thyroid, or medicines such as you describe here, its hard to get it off again, because you are generally less active anyway, due to the illness.

So, I say again, don't be so quick to judge people.

No maternity services because anybody who has a baby has 'chosen' to get pregnant? (Yes, I know). YES!

If you start excluding certain groups or making a moral judgement based No treatment for smokers? there isn't anyway they advertise it but when u ask for help they don't do anything

No treatment for anybody who has a sports injury because they chose to play the sport? they don't give physio appointments quick enough for the injury subsequently people have no choice but to go private also NHS physio is shockingly poor upon personal values of the patient then where does it stop?

No treatment for smokers? there isn't anyway they advertise it but when u ask for help they don't do anything

No treatment for anybody who has a sports injury because they chose to play the sport? they don't give physio appointments quick enough for the injury subsequently people have no choice but to go private also NHS physio is shockingly poor