Is Racism wired into you genetically ?

After seeing the topic asking if Homophobia is genetic, I thought I would start this one to pan out if 'Racism' is more than a leant or taught trait.

I have often wondered if being wary of people from other cultures and races is a natural instinct that is redundant in today's world, but never the less is there in us all, past down from the days when social groups were more separated and had less interaction.

Your thoughts please, without dragging it into the gutter or getting the topic closed/deleted.

Hate is taugh, be it any form of hatred.

You say that but what is your evidence for it ?

I am not talking about hate as such anyhow, but about a general feeling of mistrust or other irrational thoughts that could lead to hate.

Hate is taugh, be it any form of hatred.

Racism is not always hatred, there are a number of things some now class as racist that are a million miles away from being hatred of anything. Some racism (as it is called) is wired in genetically, people are naturally bias towards their own family for instance, then their own friends, religion, culture etc .....

After seeing the topic asking if Homophobia is genetic, I thought I would start this one to pan out if 'Racism' is more than a leant or taught trait.

I have often wondered if being wary of people from other cultures and races is a natural instinct that is redundant in today's world, but never the less is there in us all, past down from the days when social groups were more separated and had less interaction.

Your thoughts please, without dragging it into the gutter or getting the topic closed/deleted.

Did you not learn anything from the other thread?

Racism is not always hatred, there are a number of things some now class as racist that are a million miles away from being hatred of anything. Some racism (as it is called) is wired in genetically, people are naturally bias towards their own family for instance, then their own friends, religion, culture etc .....

Correct but the list you provide is not specific to race and so is not racism.

We are all programmed to favour those close to us but that is not believing you are superior, just we protect those close to us to the group we identify with.

As WeX points out, that is nothing to do with racism. Unless of course you think white parents with an adopted black child love that child less than if it were white.

The easiest way of disproving this theory is this:

Dogs are dogs, but they all look different, do dogs specifically hate on another type of dogs or do they treat all of them the same?

In case you don't know dogs... they treat all other dogs the same, depending on their pack-rules of course.

Correct but the list you provide is not specific to race and so is not racism.

We are all programmed to favour those close to us but that is not believing you are superior, just we protect those close to us to the group we identify with.

Not exactly I agree, but racism stems from a bias towards your own kind in many instances.

Not all 'racism' comes from a sense of superiority, some people say something offensive and they become racist, by the very nature of our modern day sensitivities and media hype ..... much like homophobia (as it is called), say something offensive to gay people and you become homophobic .... see what I'm saying ?

Edited by Michael_W

There is evidence that there is a wired in fear of snakes even though you may never have seen one, this could be considered an irrational fear as not all snakes are poisonous and this could lead to a hatred of all snakes.

What I'm wondering or suggesting is maybe we are genetically wired to be sceptical which then leads to taught hatred ?

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 12:17 ----------

As WeX points out, that is nothing to do with racism. Unless of course you think white parents with an adopted black child love that child less than if it were white.

Dogs are dogs, but they all look different, do dogs specifically hate on another type of dogs or do they treat all of them the same?

In case you don't know dogs... they treat all other dogs the same, depending on their pack-rules of course.

I think this is misleading as dogs don't have the ability to teach, they only have instinct to draw on, and even then a dog has the hair on its back go up when greeting another so its already for conflict which suggests the same scepticism wired in that Im talking of.

Depends how you define racism, the goalposts keep moving .... when I was a kid it was acceptable to refer to black people as coloured, now it is deemed as racist !

Depends how you define racism, the goalposts keep moving .... when I was a kid it was acceptable to refer to black people as coloured, now it is deemed as racist !

Is it? According to whom?