Is society sane?

One thing you often hear about insanity is that the insane individual doesn't realise they're insane- that they have no insight into their irrationality.

With that in mind, I have to wonder whether our society as a whole would be considered relatively more sane or more insane to an outsider or observer.

Society in this case comprises of our economic, social and industrial infrastructure; our means of organising food, shelter and needs and wants, our structure of governance, our familial and more general relationships and how we deal with criminality and our means of production and dealing with waste.

I'm defining insanity here as - irrational, senseless, very foolish, stupid or absurd. As normalised or accepted widespread behaviour that causes harm.

Sanity as the opposite- rational, sensible, wise, intelligent or logical. A behaviour that is largely beneficial.

What do you think? If you were an alien looking to make contact would you consider us to be sane enough to land your craft or would you fly on and hope we never made it out of our solar system? :hihi:

No.

I would land my craft an integrate myself into your multi cultural society though I'd opt for Canada as it's lovely there.

There isn't one single society on the planet.

There are many.

You're asking for a subjective opinion.

No.

I think you're wrong, I think the development of society has largely been sane, but that we have always been subject to 'the law of unintended consequences'. I think in most cases people have made rational and wise decisions (done the best that they could) and I think the evidence for this is that we now populate most of the land on the planet and that we've in some sense dominated nature.

However, the outcome of all those past wise decisions has been increasing complexity, increasing loss of control or adaptability, more and more problems that need to be solved by more complexity and as a result, when we consider society today it appears insane (though certainly I wouldn't suggest we haven't also had numerous insane events or ideas along the way).

Take capitalism as an example. In the early days this economic model inspired creativity and entrepreneurship, it was so powerful it almost destroyed the aristocrats who'd previously ruled society as common merchants gained power and freedom through it. A few hundred years later it's so complex no one has control over it anymore- the creativity and choice it promised has become hampered by fashion or cost, the entrepreneurship has been hampered by monopolies and the entire focus of government is to micromanage us to ensure we keep feeding the monster. The freedom initially gained is being lost and it's too large and complex, too integral for us to adapt and change without disrupting social structures.

A sane idea has an insane outcome when unleashed- I think that's largely the history of the world.

One thing you often hear about insanity is that the insane individual doesn't realise they're insane- that they have no insight into their irrationality.

With that in mind, I have to wonder whether our society as a whole would be considered relatively more sane or more insane to an outsider or observer.

Society in this case comprises of our economic, social and industrial infrastructure; our means of organising food, shelter and needs and wants, our structure of governance, our familial and more general relationships and how we deal with criminality and our means of production and dealing with waste.

I'm defining insanity here as - irrational, senseless, very foolish, stupid or absurd. As normalised or accepted widespread behaviour that causes harm.

Sanity as the opposite- rational, sensible, wise, intelligent or logical. A behaviour that is largely beneficial.

What do you think? If you were an alien looking to make contact would you consider us to be sane enough to land your craft or would you fly on and hope we never made it out of our solar system? :hihi:

Society is clearly insane. While much of the world starves, over here we put massive resources into persuading people to buy things like mobile phones (not just comunication devices, but the latest, most expensive gadget phones, which will be used briefly then discarded in favour of the next 'latest' model). We put so much effort into persuading members of society to engage in acts that basically make them more miserable.

The richest societies (eg much of the west) has the highest rates of misery/depression and suicides. That's clearly not sane.

The most medically advanced societies have the highest rates of avoidable diseases and death (obesity, for example, people are so unhappy they gorge themselves into illness, despite having clear access to medical advice which could tell them exactly what they need to do to have excellent health).

Our highly advanced educational system produces high levels of non-rational behaviour and people who, whilst being highly 'intelligent' are unable to either control their own counter-productive cravings, or, see how they are manipulated into self-harming behaviour by organisations devoted to 'marketing'.

Cars- stand by the roadside during rush hour: does that look sane?

Can the definition of sane/normality change?

If ????????????

Can the definition of sane/normality change?

I've tried to explain how it does. How a behaviour that begins as sane can become insane as it takes hold in society.

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 11:03 ----------

If ????????????

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

One thing you often hear about insanity is that the insane individual doesn't realise they're insane

Are you having one of these days "Whats Up" days Cavegirl

I seem to be getting them more frequently lately, but I was quite normal at 25.:hihi:

Society is clearly insane. While much of the world starves, over here we put massive resources into persuading people to buy things like mobile phones (not just comunication devices, but the latest, most expensive gadget phones, which will be used briefly then discarded in favour of the next 'latest' model). We put so much effort into persuading members of society to engage in acts that basically make them more miserable.

The richest societies (eg much of the west) has the highest rates of misery/depression and suicides. That's clearly not sane.

The most medically advanced societies have the highest rates of avoidable diseases and death (obesity, for example, people are so unhappy they gorge themselves into illness, despite having clear access to medical advice which could tell them exactly what they need to do to have excellent health).

Our highly advanced educational system produces high levels of non-rational behaviour and people who, whilst being highly 'intelligent' are unable to either control their own counter-productive cravings, or, see how they are manipulated into self-harming behaviour by organisations devoted to 'marketing'.

Cars- stand by the roadside during rush hour: does that look sane?

Not to mention the increasing number of women travelling abroad every year for cosmetic surgery. I heard a report about it on the radio this morning.

One foreign Surgeon said 90 per cent of his clients were British, what does that say about us?..crazy!

90% of how many though Janie?