Npower..a bit of a tangle

NPower delightful company....not!

Rather than using snail mail only for them to lose the letter or deny they've received it try:

Going straight to [email protected]

This email address is next to impossible to find but it seems to work better, needless to say they don't advertise this email address. I found out by sheer persistence and determination.:rant:

Good luck

First thing to do is stop phoning them and start writing, then bill them for you having to chase it up.

Its no different from what they would do and as the have stuck this to collectors you can bet you now owe them more than you did (in their eyes).

Charge them about £30 every time you have to write to them.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 17:41 ----------

I moved into a flat that had N Power pre payment meters, I called them and they said they put them in for free to collect the debt but I would have to pay them £60 a meter to have them swapped (or something like that), I said that I would and then was told that I couldn't do this for 12 months as I had to prove that I would pay my bills and first build up a credit rating with them over the 12 months !

I have a recording of that conversation. I looked into it and found out they cannot do that so called them back and made a complaint, they said that the other operator was wrong in saying that (after I told them it was not legal) and that I could change the meters in about a month.

I hate them, I feel like ripping the lot out myself.

Edited by Mr Clowning

I'm in a situation like this

Me too.

Moved house in December, I had just transfered to First Utility, 2 year contract. So I emailed them (I like email because I then have all the conversation on my pc), only to be told that I could only be transfered if it was within one month, as the new house had prepayment metres. I said not to bother.

SSE removed my metres, I gave them my bank details, but apart from the £104 to remove the metres, they havnt taken any money.

Since I cancelled my DD with First Utility, my electricity and gas are free, at the moment ;)

So glad I did a search on this, I'm losing patience with NPower.

We left them in early April when we sold our house. They were told the exact meter readings on the day the house was sold.

Since then I've had three lots of bills for the period up until April, all garbage, based on estimates, I've spoken to them each time, supplying the readings AGAIN each time.

Now I've had a bill for the period from April to July - we don't even live there. Npower were told that we had moved, that the new owners had moved in, and given the meter readings.

The person who I spoke to has promised it will all be sorted out, but I've no faith whatsoever, I've heard that before, but each time I speak to someone they've no idea what the history is - don't they keep records?

How hard can it be - "here's the starting reading, here's the finish reading - bill me for the bit inbetween".

I'm going to contact their complaints department directly. Thanks for the info.

It's not just them, all energy companies are that crap.

I spent ages on the phone to mine, explaining everything and thinking it was sorted.

Phoned back a week later to double check:

"oh, we don't have any record of your call"

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

And you wait for 40 minutes for someone to talk to you into the bargain!

The big 6 are terrible but a lot of the smaller companies are good. This is useful

http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy-suppliers/energy-companies-rated

Yeah - agree, we're with Utility Warhouse ourselves, they've been great. We were lumbered with NPower by the tenants when they moved out. Will never have anything to do with them again if I can help it.

---------- Post added 26-07-2014 at 18:26 ----------

Well, my flabber has been truly gasted!

I decided to give the last guy I spoke to a chance, and wait to see what the latest bill was before I wrote to the complaints department. A letter arrived today. Expecting another fictitious bill, I'm chuffed to say they've sent a letter apologising for all the faff (they've had computer problems) and writing off the outstanding owed! I wonder if this will be the end of it?

Edited by Olive

Well, I was right to be cautious. Received gas and electric bill reminders today. Nothing like any of the previous estimates, no clue in the bills as to what dates or readings these new imaginary numbers are base on. Time to take it to the complaints department I think.

start logging your time spent on this and then apply a reasonable rate to this time. I'd say your earnings after tax per hour is reasonable - that is what you are worth. Add on anything else - stationery, postage etc. Then invoice them monthly. Failure to pay by them I would take to the small claims court. It's hassle, but will hopefully focus their minds.

It's tempting. By my reckoning it's taken up well over a working day of my time so far.

I called them earlier and guess what, they've no record of the letter that was sent that apologised and wrote off the outstanding amounts (not that they managed to ever calculate what those were!).

They reckoned they would honour this letter as long as I can prove it was sent! Honestly, talk about adding insult to injury.

Anyway I've sent an email to the address Norseman gave earlier as well as cc-ing the general inquiries email address the advisor told me to use.

I called them earlier and guess what, they've no record of the letter that was sent that apologised and wrote off the outstanding amounts (not that they managed to ever calculate what those were!).

They reckoned they would honour this letter as long as I can prove it was sent!

That one is fairly easy.

Make a photocopy, enclose the copy with a 'salty' (;)) complaints letter referencing your latest conversation above, and send by recorded delivery.

I'll never say it and post it enough on here and elsewhere: in this type of situations, always use hardcopies sent by recorded delivery, so you have court-grade evidence of what was sent to whom and received when.

Edited by L00b