Space Shuttle and ISS over Sheffield

To hear who?!

You can often hear the Soyuz and downlink chatter if they are working as they go overhead - if there are any people off duty then you can work them directly if you have an amateur radio licence and have the necessary radio kit (you want one that can do the Doppler corrections automatically ideally)

too cloudy here tonight to see anything, not even the Moon :D

Whoah ... another great sighting.

Anyone up and about early tomorrow morning? If its a clear sky you should see the ISS

Time: Fri Jul 25 4:09 AM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 58 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

It should be good for viewing tonight so long as it stays clear.

The ISS will be appearing at 6:13 PM for 3 minutes with a maximum elevation of 63° towards the south.

Elevation is measured as degrees above the horizon with the horizon being 0° and directly overhead 90°

It will first appear with 34° elevation above WSW and disappear with 18° elevation above East.

In simple terms go outside at 18:10 and look south. You should see it as a steadily moving bright blob. If you don't see it by 18:20 give up.

It should be good for viewing tonight so long as it stays clear.

The ISS will be appearing at 6:13 PM for 3 minutes with a maximum elevation of 63° towards the south.

Elevation is measured as degrees above the horizon with the horizon being 0° and directly overhead 90°

It will first appear with 34° elevation above WSW and disappear with 18° elevation above East.

In simple terms go outside at 18:10 and look south. You should see it as a steadily moving bright blob. If you don't see it by 18:20 give up.

Thanks, I might do that. I took my daughter up towards Redmires last year to watch the meteors, and the ISS was passing as well, so she saw it then. It might be of more interest now as there's someone on board that she's heard of.

just seen it - perfect viewing conditions

oh yes and thanks for the tip Nagel

Edited by Unrecordings
it was rude not to thank Nagel

Yep, it was perfect :thumbsup:

I saw both its moment of appearance and moment of disapperance too. That's when it pops out from the shadow of the Earth and back into shadow again. Three minutes is about as long a sighting as you get.

There should be a period of good early evening sightings from now. Times and full details for Sheffield are available on this NASA site:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Sheffield

I've just seen something bright red and green ... moving very quickly through the sky then turning around and going the other way. Was that it because it didn't look like a bright star at all?

That description fits a helicopter.