Self Employment Questions

Hi there

I am sick and tired of being on benefits and feel rather useless, i do however have one skill i can fall back on which is php programming.

How does it all work?....im absolutely terrified of making the first step through fear of my finances hitting the wall and losing my home and family, but want to be able to work from home with the skills i have and be around as much as possible for them.

If i register as self employed do i recieve any state aid? (benefits etc) to keep my going as a baseline or once i register am i on my own?.

I am getting some information from my father in law but as times change etc what am i expected to pay in regards NI, tax etc?

Thanks for your time, it is much appreciated.

Thanks for that link, i'm taking a look at it now. Any other help would be welcomed also :)

There's a project in Sheffield called BiG who help people start up in business - everything from business plans to marketing.

i had same problem a few years ago i went from full time employment on a avg to good wage to self employed on a bare min somtimes no income.only finicial help i got was tax credits whitch is a great help but you have to estimate your income and if you under or over estimate you could find your-self in a whole lot of mess.i over estimated so i dident get a bill to pay back at end of year.money was tight but to get to do what you want was worth it

hope this helps if i can answer anymore pm me

garry

so does any entitlement to income support etc when income is low or non existant dry up completely?.....

I don't expect benefits + my income but just for something to be there while it starts up?

Try this link below re Business Link - they run courses on self employment and the ones I've been on were quite useful.

How long have you been claiming JSA as if nearly 6 months I would wait til OVER 6 MONTHS when there are benefits you can still claim for a while even though you come off the dole and register yourself as self employed

http://www.businesslinkyorkshire.co.uk/Think-links/Think-Homepage.aspx

Post your idea over on the business forum. We are usually happy to help..

you get £50 for 16 weeks when you go self employ but ask if you dont ask you will not get it i when selfemploy on aug this year