Advice needed on owning a corner shop

could anyone give me some advice on running a small corner shop, we have seen a shop in a prime location so would appreciate as much input with regards to a succesful opening and maintaining customer participation and loyalty. would people still find corner shops a convenience over big supermarkets.

Seriously, unless you have some kind of urge to fulfil a lifelong dream of owning a corner shop, DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF. If you intend on staffing the shop personally, all you will create is a 60-70hr + per week job for yourself full of hassle. Staffing a small cornershop cash business especially when you first take it over is also a recipe for disaster due to fingers in tills unless you intend on putting in a serious CCTV system which your staff know about and records remotely to a digital dvr. This goes for your lovely customers too who will rob you into the gutter without blinking an eye if given half the chance. High business rates, trouble from the local hoodies, abuse, some violence, more abuse, heavy competition from major chains slowly squeezing the life out of you, crap and games from suppliers who will leave you in the lurch without a minutes notice. The long hours and major stress you will suffer will not make even massive profits worth the trouble. I had a successful shop in a very affluent area. I even owned the freehold on the actual building as well. After 4 very very painful years I sold out including the building and made a great profit and you know what, I'd give all the money back plus 20k if I could have those 4 years back and my memory erased of the entire drama.

That said, if you do go ahead with it. Good luck :)

Go and get psychiatric help. I had a shop for a long time, 14 years. It got to be an obsession to try and make a decent profit. You cant. Forget about it and go join a circus or join the foreign legion. If corner shops could still make a quid or two the chains like Tesco would be snapping them up. They are like pubs, closing down all the time. A lot of hard work and stress for nothing.