Help me - Interview for Management position

hello

next week i have a second interview for a mangment position

Edited by wiffy

Is this an interview with a new or existing employer?

If its with a new one I would suggest you do some research on the company itself and for 2 reasons:

1st of all you may get an idea on the size of the company (other branches etc) , whether they've gained any recent contracts or awards etc, and what they're like to work for. Even Googling the company name is a start and will usually bring up some information. If you want to dig deeper and check the financial position of the company, you can order their accounts online through Companies House.

Secondly it always sit well with the interviewer of they can see that you've taken an interest in finding out the company. It knows initiative and that your keen to work there.

Good luck.

thank you for that

i covered the above in the first interview

its for a new employer

would it look bad if i write my own buisiness plan

or would i look like a ****

as i dont have a clue how to write a buisness plan

No i think you should write your own business plan, you'll show initiative and it will make you stand out from other applicants. There are loads of website on management interviews if you google it but i really do suggest preparing and preparing you can never prepare enough.

Management is all about motivating your employees to deliver results. Questions relating to Management posts (aside from purely operational questions) may involve asking you how you would deal with motivating your teams, what would you of someone was not performing, how you would deal with colleagues who did not get on and it was affecting business performance.

To test your commercial acumen, you may be asked questions about how you see the business developing - do you have any good ideas? You may be asked about the businesses main competitors - what are they doing?

A good analogy that is used is called PEST (What are the Political, Economic, Social and Technical) - factors that affect the business...

A further tool to help structure your thoughts is to look at the current strengths of the business, weaknesses and then look at what you see the opportunities to be and what the potential threats may be (a good SWAT analysis as it would be called) and from that - you can generally turn the threats and weaknesses into opportunities for improvement.

Hope that gives you a little bit to think about for your interview. A Management position is about looking at things from a broader perspective and being able to look at things fairly/consistently etc.

agree with Loise , do remeber health of staff and safety is paramount. Safe working conditions.

As they say your team is only as good as your worst player.

and good luck

Management is all about motivating your employees to deliver results. Questions relating to Management posts (aside from purely operational questions) may involve asking you how you would deal with motivating your teams, what would you of someone was not performing, how you would deal with colleagues who did not get on and it was affecting business performance.

To test your commercial acumen, you may be asked questions about how you see the business developing - do you have any good ideas? You may be asked about the businesses main competitors - what are they doing?

A good analogy that is used is called PEST (What are the Political, Economic, Social and Technical) - factors that affect the business...

A further tool to help structure your thoughts is to look at the current strengths of the business, weaknesses and then look at what you see the opportunities to be and what the potential threats may be (a good SWAT analysis as it would be called) and from that - you can generally turn the threats and weaknesses into opportunities for improvement.

Hope that gives you a little bit to think about for your interview. A Management position is about looking at things from a broader perspective and being able to look at things fairly/consistently etc.

wow that is some really good advise thank you

thank you all

has any one got any tips or websites that help you draw up a business plan

that oppertunity is very important to me as im not going to that a chance for another for years ( FACT )

wow that is some really good advise thank you

thank you all

has any one got any tips or websites that help you draw up a business plan

that oppertunity is very important to me as im not going to that a chance for another for years ( FACT )

I'd be surprised if they are looking for a business plan for a management position which is principly a people management position.

Key thing to emphasise is that people are a businesses most flexible asset. Motivate then properly and they will go the extra mile for you and, more importantly, the customer.

Do you have examples in your personal life where you have motivated teams etc (do you run a local football team, do you have any hobbies where you are actively involved etc); if so mention it!

Can you give personal examples where you have been a leader and/or shown leadership.

If you're a parent; manage staff as you'd manage your own family...praise for great performance, advise when you think somebody is doing things wrong (or if they seek your advice) and scold when you need to scold (in a professional manner of course!); key thing is, though, praise in public...bollock in private :)

Clearly you have qualities they like (ask them what they are at the 2nd interview) so be positive in the interview but be careful using business terms like PEST SWAT etc...if the interviewer is familiar with these tools (which take years to perfect their use) you could end up making a fool of yourself.

Best of luck.

A small bit of advice from me.. Make sure that you are aware of how comunication is key. You cannot do anything in business without communication - being able to speak to people and rather than "I get on well with everyone" this is more that you can impart the direction and strategy you require and that people understand it.

Good luck

Any news on how your interview went?

what about reward and recognition of your staff - you have to lead them forward to achieve your goals - any news yet?