Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

Guest Guest

Is there anybody there that worked at Firth Browns particularly late 60's early 70's especially in the Engineers Dept

I worked at Firth Browns from 1937 to 1983 (with a gap of 7 years for the second world war). During my time I worked in the machine shops. I would be very happy to here from anyone else that worked at Firth Browns at the same time as me. My father and grandfather also worked at firths.

Look forward to hearing from any and all of my ex-colleagues.

Bill Howard

Err...my father worked at both Brown Baileys and Hadfields sometime 'tween 1960 and 1980... ;)

He hated it, but it put food on the table and clothes on our backs!

You could ask Richard Caborn as he used to work there as did his father. Mind you, he's probably not in the best of moods right now.:)

Hi Bill,

Do you know one of my Uncles, an Ernest Webster not seen him for years but still in touch occasionally (was union convenor I think)

another Bill

wifes Dad worked for them 50 years, Syd Taylor

Like many other prople I remember Richard Caborn's father George.

I remember him answering an enquiy of how he came to work at Firth Browns.

He replied, "I was out of work and outside Firth Browns was a notice saying,

WANTED- A man to replace two horses.

So I applied, and got the job immediately".

No further comment!!

My dad Frank Martin worked at Firth Browns Tools [Hard Metal Div.] for most of his working life,national service being the exception.He spent most of his time in hard metal tools and rose to become a production controller in that department.He,like many others,was made redundant in,I can't remember when,but it was his last permanant job.

My uncles Frank and Joe Simpson worked there in the 50s to the 70s

My mum worked there from leaving school.She was a tracer.With the knowledge she learnt from Firth Browns she also went on to get a little part time job tracing tatoos for a friend who had a tatoo shop.Dont think she stayed a long time though but someone may remember her.Her name was Lynda Taylor.

Hello,

I don't know if any of you or your relatives remember my dad, Albert Hall, he worked at Firths,I'm not sure how long exactly, but I think it was about 30 years, he left in 1968, when we came to Australia, I think the last department he worked in was the Electric Furnace...I would love to hear from anyone who remembers him,.......Kathy Hall

a mate of my dads frank sampson worked at fb for many years in the maintainance dept he told me it was the best job he ever had especially when doing the night shift when him and his work mates went in the local pub the gate then it was back 2 fb and get your head down no wonder these steel workswent under