Tuffnells Parcels Express, H J Tuffnell

Hi, does anyone have any old photos or know the history of Tuffnells or even knew HJ Tuffnell? I work for the company and I'm interested in the history of Mr Tuffnell or even if there any relative still around?

Thanks in advance

I believe that all the Sheffield tuffnells are related in some way and originate from the south.

Hi DarrenDuffy - I don't know if you have access to census returns, BMD records, directories etc. but in case it's of interest, Harold James Tuffnell (1886-1963) appears in 1920s directories as a "motor haulage contractor & coal merchant" resident at 261 Pearl Street, with his business at 80 Langdon Street. By 1936 "H.J. Tuffnell Limited, carriers" were at 14 Mary Street, with Harold now resident at 149 Folds Lane. By 1958 the firm had moved to 230 Woodbourn Road and by 1972 to Shepcote Lane, now as "Tuffnells, air freight".

As lottiecass indicated the Tuffnells were originally from the south.The 1901 census return shows Harold and his family; his father James was from Hertfordshire and his mother Elizabeth from Shropshire. At that time James and Harold worked for Charles Crookes, a steel manufacturer of East Cliffe House, East Bank Road, James as a coachman and Harold as a groom.

Harold married Ethel Bowser (1884-1953) in 1912 and they had three children - Margaret, Dorothy and Derek. Probate records show that Harold died in the Royal Hospital on 9 May 1963, his estate being valued at a little under £16,000.

Many thanks for this. I also see they had a daughter Who passed away aged 5 whilst under anaesthetic.

Has anyone got any old photos of the great old company HJ Tuffnell?

Thanks in advance

Hi Darren my wife’s father was the managing director of Tuffnells in the 1950s-60s and70s.He worked for Eddie Shaw and was instrumental in expanding the business.The business moved from Woodbury Road to Shepcote Lane and Henry Leadley was managing director until he retired.