Old public toilets - Where did they used to be?

A thread on another section got me wondering about how many and where all the public toilets used to be in Sheffield.

On the regular Saturday walk home from the market with my Dad about 1950 (- ish) I can recall toilets in Fitzalan Square. Surrey Street, Moorhead (I think - not sure) and next to the library at Highfields. I think there were some on the corner of London Road and Queens Road too.

Others I recall at the junction of Sharrow Lane and Cemetary Road and one on Bramhall Lane.

Any I've missed in that area ? What about other areas ?

Mods...please don't merge this with the thread on General Chat, - they're just takin' the p*** :D

There was one for men only, just up the road from t Whicker.

A few months ago I was interested (and at the time discomforted) to find that the toilets down the road from King Edwards School, Broomhill (opposite Hallamshire Hospital) had been turned into a smart looking cafe/ restaurant. I wondered if it still smelt?

Striver

there was gents next to the Broadfield on Abbeydale road.and in the wall opposite the White loin on Chesterfield road .strange that they are near pubs.There were ladies and gent just up from the swimming baths at Hillbrough now I beleve part of a restuant.

I belive Fizsalen are just bricked up.Ithink they are the ones with the fancy tiling

There was one on Commonside by the bus stop and another on Heavygate Road where it meets Northfield Road. The structures are still there but bricked up.

Originally posted by max

The structures are still there but bricked up.

Similar to the ones in Firth Park centre

I remember the underground ones in Fitzalan Square, seperate entrance and exit, glazed roof and what seemed like acres of tiles. There was also some more underground ones down Dixon Lane near the old Rag & Tag, behind Woolworths (now Wilkinsons).

Others at, Blonk Street bridge, bricked up (as a kid I always used to think these emptied straight into the river below), Bridge Street bus station, this is where I caught the No.110 to leafy Parson Cross, my mum would always shout don't be long or we'll miss the bus.(we never did), Surrey Street, side of the Town Hall, now you have to pay and leaving the worse to last, the Hole in the Road (Angel Street), very very smelly.

Originally posted by PAULR

and in the wall opposite the White loin on Chesterfield road. strange that they are near pubs.

I think these were part of the train station that sat atop that wall weren't they?

Use to be some at sheffield lane top,

alas now a cafe.

Hmmm...that's now two Public Loo sites been turned into eateries (the other is the one outside the Hallamshire Hospital).

Strange role-reversal :D

Originally posted by Greybeard

Hmmm...that's now two Public Loo sites been turned into eateries (the other is the one outside the Hallamshire Hospital).

Strange role-reversal :D

Make that three!!

The old mens public toilets in Hillsborough ( bottom of Forbes Road) are now a restaurant too. (Mr Tse's or something like that)

When we were kids, we used to play with the vicars kids who lived in the vicarage at the bottom of Forbed Road. Guaranteed, if we looked over the wall at the bottom, there would be, 9 times out of 10, some dirty old man flashing at the entrance to the loo's!!

I can't bring myself to eat in there as I always think of it as the smelly mens toilets!!

Originally posted by tara

Use to be some at sheffield lane top,

alas now a cafe.

A cafe in old bogs...err, not eating there then.