Need a new career - Advice please

I'm currently working in a building society as a customer advisor and have been for 3 years since having left Uni (studied child studies).

As i work for a small business i can't work my way up and progress myself. Im stuck in limbo at the moment not going anywhere.

Although i have a lot of banking experience i don't necessarily want to stay within that field. I love organizing things, typing, using spreadsheet and doing general admin. Apart from that i don't know that direction to take. I need a job with challenges and where i can progress at all times.

Any tips on the best place to look or if anyone has a job which could be suitable please PM me.

Thanks

Hi Becky,

Just wanted to say that I feel very much the same as you at the moment. I graduated in 2007 with a Health and Human Sciences Degree (pretty broad).

I have been working for a large well known high street bank in their Bereavement Team (basically taking calls to report death of customers) since April 2008 and I also feel like its not an area I wish to remain in, or that there are many opportunities to progress with the bank due to the area im posted in at the minute.

Im really interested in Health, Nutrition and Children/Childcare...but am struggling so much to find new roles to apply for.

Best of luck to you!

Similarly, if anyone could suggest anything for me I would appreciate this too, Thanks.

Given the current situation I don’t think you can expect people to come to you, you have to get out there and slug it out with the rest if you want another job.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

you've got transferable skills but financial services isnt a good place to be at the moment, id stick it out to be honest and ask about at work, its amazing what crops up that way (and ive got over 12 years working in finance so i know what im on about)

I understand what you mean about financial services not being a good place to be at the moment. Luckily I am working for one of the considered 'better' banks and my job is secure because our dept is growing (the only dept allowed to expand this year).

I will be asking around and have looked on lots of jobs websites, I get emails from Graduates Yorkshire and others...

I think im struggling with knowing what work I want to do and then finding something appropriate in that area!!

Thanks.

Beckyusher.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of these get rich quick schemes. They prey on people such as you who are at a crossroads in their careers, with the promise of making millions.

Always ask yourself, why would anyone who was so "serious about making money online" want to sell their "ideas" to others.

Good luck.

Malky!!!! I wasnt asking anyone to hand me anything on a plate i was asking for advice seen as though i'm not really clued up on the whole job/career thing, if you havn't got anything good to say don't say it all

THANKS

Malky!!!! I wasnt asking anyone to hand me anything on a plate i was asking for advice seen as though i'm not really clued up on the whole job/career thing, if you havn't got anything good to say don't say it all

THANKS

I would wait untill the job market is more stable. Best thing to do is look for a job while having your current one. Once you find something WAY better then move. I have been looking for a job now for 6 months and have not found one. I apply on average for 20-30 jobs per week! And I am a university graduate with 7 years of work experience! :huh:

THANKS

That kind of attitude will get you a long way :rolleyes: “if anyone has a job which could be suitable please PM me.” get real , it’s a tuff world, sometimes the best advice is hard to swallow.

I know somebody who may be able to help.

To get jobs, you need interviews. To get interviews you need a great CV.

Once you have this in place the rest is much easier (with the right guidance)

GOOGLE 'the impact CV Sheffield' new business startup in Sheffield, S8.

Can help you with a CV or general jobsearch guidance and tips.

Send an enquiry to them via email.

Good luck!