Do you remember Rowlinson Technical in the 60's

Crikey! news to me but I do live 150 mls south so have to rely on my bruv who has retired to his old roots (but clearly doesn't keep up to speed with what's going on around him!)

Sad, as a good school. All you said about Yak was spot on ..he had the right balance of being held in fear & respect, something that doesn't seem to exist these days. The cane did noone any harm if inflicted justly ..can't touch 'em these days and look at the result, discipline down the pan!

Must let my good friend Paul Cheetham know. Another brick pulled from the wall ..Sheffield is a far cry from how we remember it: both footie teams in the old 1st Division, regular derbies, yellow buses, proper trams, a pint of Stones, the Hippodrome pulling in the punters ...

The old place has now been flattened, RIP Rowlinson technical school, Ruskin rule.

Thanks Wiso ..had it confirmed to me yesterday by Nancy Fielder, Editor of the Star. Presumably gobbled up for housing? ..RIP Smoker's Corner et al. Not sure I remember Ruskin ever winning anything during my time ('61-'66) ..may be you are a different vintage-?

Hi Ian,

I was there from 65 to 71 and must admit that we in Ruskin did not win much other than a good record of the stick [in my case anyway], I think the site is to be developed as a shopping and leisure facility, i'm sure the new users will also have to smoke outside.

We seem to be a nation of leisure seekers and shoppers these days ..who are these people with all this disposable income?!! I thought we were still in a period of austerity and belt-tightening ..or has someone just not told me that the recession is over?:lol:

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 20:04 ----------

We seem to be a nation of leisure seekers and shoppers these days ..who are these people with all this disposable income?!! I thought we were still in a period of austerity and belt-tightening ..or has someone just not told me that the recession is over? :confused::huh:

We seem to be a nation of leisure seekers and shoppers these days ..who are these people with all this disposable income?!! I thought we were still in a period of austerity and belt-tightening ..or has someone just not told me that the recession is over?:lol:

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 20:04 ----------

We seem to be a nation of leisure seekers and shoppers these days ..who are these people with all this disposable income?!! I thought we were still in a period of austerity and belt-tightening ..or has someone just not told me that the recession is over? :confused::huh:

Heard you the first time! (Apologies!)

Unusual surname...did you work at Williams & Glyns Bank many years ago?

Forgot I wasn't speaking to the wife ..usually have to say it 3 x eg. 'Tea ready yet?'

You've rumbled me ..yes, 't was me who caused the recession! :suspect:

Forgot I wasn't speaking to the wife ..usually have to say it 3 x eg. 'Tea ready yet?'

You've rumbled me ..yes, 't was me who caused the recession! :suspect:

I'm going back a long way before the recession(s)!

Back to your Frank Noone days...and Jerry (?) on door duties....

I certainly remember big Frank - a legend. and Gerry to (ex /navy I think, built like a tank!) Also, Nellie Dean, Sylvis Joe Oxley (RIP), Geoff Arnold, Ossie, Rupert, Marion & John on daybook, John Morley, Pat Codd, Martin Ellis, Roy Cutts, Peter Bishop (slightly odd!), Martin Webster In Trustee Dept. the WoW lady ..list is endless ..good memory eh?

I certainly remember big Frank - a legend. and Gerry to (ex /navy I think, built like a tank!) Also, Nellie Dean, Sylvis Joe Oxley (RIP), Geoff Arnold, Ossie, Rupert, Marion & John on daybook, John Morley, Pat Codd, Martin Ellis, Roy Cutts, Peter Bishop (slightly odd!), Martin Webster In Trustee Dept. the WoW lady ..list is endless ..good memory eh?

Excellent. Far better than mine.

Miss Dean I recall...Geoff Arnold as well...but I'm lost with all the others.

Was there an 'Arlene' (or something similar?)...and a Brigitte (or Bernadette, perhaps?)

Long, long time ago now.

About the only other memeory I have was of the manager at the time - his name escapes me - who gave me a real ticking off for not having my waistcoat top button undone...

(Apparently a mark of respect to the RAF...?!)

There was a Brigitte ..quite nervous & fragile I recall but very sweet. Manager was 'Jock' Hannan ..smoker, old school tie don't you know. His No 2 was a bit of an arse ..can picture him but no name comes to mind ..always marching out of his office wafting papers with a gruff demeanour, specs in hand. Never has cause to talk to an oik like me. Other names thta spring to mind are Diane Bricklebank, Sue Ibberson, Kath O'Farrell, Roger Deakin, Pat ....? who ran the machine room, Peter Wilkinson, Mr Knighton (who looked after the Royal Hospital sub), Bob Goodlad, a Blades supporter who sadly died of cancer very young (30s), Mick Vale, Julian Broadbent (Bluegrass singer in his spare time), Tricia White (Canadian, who got preggers). Here's me burbling down memory lane and I don't know who you are ..???

There was a Brigitte ..quite nervous & fragile I recall but very sweet. Manager was 'Jock' Hannan ..smoker, old school tie don't you know. His No 2 was a bit of an arse ..can picture him but no name comes to mind ..always marching out of his office wafting papers with a gruff demeanour, specs in hand. Never has cause to talk to an oik like me. Other names thta spring to mind are Diane Bricklebank, Sue Ibberson, Kath O'Farrell, Roger Deakin, Pat ....? who ran the machine room, Peter Wilkinson, Mr Knighton (who looked after the Royal Hospital sub), Bob Goodlad, a Blades supporter who sadly died of cancer very young (30s), Mick Vale, Julian Broadbent (Bluegrass singer in his spare time), Tricia White (Canadian, who got preggers). Here's me burbling down memory lane and I don't know who you are ..???

Roger Deakin, yes...

Sue Ibberson....yes...

Bob Goodlad...very gaunt from what I recall. He used to go around the assay office 'run', didn't he?

Julian Broadbent - yes, he rings a bell too. Banjo/uke/guitar player as well? The Bluegrass reference definitely places him...

Come to think, 'Arlene' - or prehaps 'Ailene' - may have been at Moorfoot.

You won't remember me - I was only there for a few weeks, before being shunted around to Dronfield and the like.

Banking was not for me!