Arthur Lee Steel Company

I served my time as an electrician at Crown Works (1951-1960), then left to go to Davy United. A few years later I was sent for and offered a job by Leslie Wilson (as project development engineer). I turned it down because of salary. Sent for again when Alloy Steel Rods started. I would have been working for "Chappie" (Ron Chapman) again salary was the problem for me. I remember working at Mr Arthur's farm. I was to finish early because it was pay day. Not for Mrs Lee, she phoned Mr Arthur to bring my wages and take me home in his Roller. I must say most employees respected the Lees for their job knowledge. I re-call Mr David working in our shop as part of working his way round every department. Played rugger against him a couple of times too, but didn't get the better of him. AL&S were a caring firm, the lure of a better salary was just too much.

Edited by ptrA
abbreviation

After demob in 1953 for a short time I was a lorry driver for a steel works ( Sheffield Forge ) and Arthur Lee was one of my regular deliveries.

I wondered if anyone has knowledge of the exact location of the Wincobank site, what road it was it on etc.

I have been a Sheffield exile now since the 1960's and I have not been able to re visit Sheffield for some years so I navigate using Google Earth but times and Sheffield has changed beyond all recignition and I can't even remember the roads to get there anymore.

Hi , Arthur Lees address was

Truebright Works

Fife Street

Wincobank

S9 ???

Now totally demolished

I worked there for 21 years in the Bright Bar dept

my grandfather was one of the founders and my father worked there all his life, i have a few cuttings and a copy of the 100 year handbook which i can send if they help.

john bunting

would anybody remember Arthur Lee or his son having a Bus with matching car made for them in 1965,

There is a heap of info about that here:

http://maximummini.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/radfords-crazy-carabus.html?m=1

It [and two matching cars] was registered when new to Philip Lee, but was he the disabled user of it?

Don't know if my last post was submitted but here goes, masbrolass If you are still on this forum but my wife Karen Crosbie worked In the purchasing office 1974 and can remember all the names you mention . I worked in the bar department her mom Ivy worked in Ecclesfield dining room and her dad was head roller in FZ 1 for 40 odd years . Only last week I was reminiscing along with Wendy Spellman about the good old days at Lees including me and and work mates sneaking through railings to Royal Oak for a couple of pints the going back dodging the guards to clock out at 10.00 pm

Which 'Royal Oak' ?

---------- Post added 18-02-2018 at 19:20 ----------

I have a copy of the book which was issued to employees to celebrate the centenary in 1974.

There are lots of details of the origins of the company but suffice to say that Arthur Lee returned from the USA in 1870 whilst still employed by Joshua Moss & Gamble and established himself in the cutlary trade in Arundel Lane. He became a manager at the wire mill owned by James Fairbrother then at Brocco Bank but which moved to Bessemer Road in 1871. Arthur aquired a controlling interest in the company by 1874. There is much more but perhaps this will be of interest for the moment.

I recall Arthur Lee's in Bessemer Road, I think Woodhouse & Rixon was next door. Where was Moss & Gamble, Owlerton area ?

Edited by St Petre
add

There is a heap of info about that here:

It [and two matching cars] was registered when new to Philip Lee, but was he the disabled user of it?

What makes you think there were 2 cars??

---------- Post added 27-03-2018 at 20:33 ----------

Are there any mechanics from either Kennings or Autoways on here that were servicing coaches between 1965 and 1970?? It would be great to have a chat if possible (please email nippycars@hotmail.com)

On 01/09/2008 at 21:11, MINICOOP said:

I am doing a geneology project which I believe will link in with the family who started up a company which was either Arthur Lee's originally or a firm which turned into Arthur Lee's.

Does anyone know anything about the origins of Arthur Lee's or how to find out?

Hi my name is Danielle lee I know that im related to the lee family id like to talk to u more about this, looking forward to your reply 

Can't help you Dani , but l worked for Arthur lee & sons in a roundabout way, Arthur lee &sons owned 3 farms in Nottinghamshire in the 1960's . One near Worksop & the other 2 just outside caunton , which is near newark. I used to live & work on one of them at caunton in the late 60s , they were arable and dairy farms , with Friesian cows ,called the Trubrite herd of British friesians . I can remember Wilton lee visiting occasionally in his rolls.

good old days😀

Rick55