Jobs in sheffield

What is it with employers nowadays, I sent well over 250 applications out and only 2 replies. and they are agencies for jobs that don't exist:confused:

at least some acknowledgement to say that they have received my application.

If they receive hundreds of unsolicited cv's every day, you expect them to take the time and cost to send replies?

If they are applications for advertised jobs I'd hope for at least an email response.

at least some acknowledgement to say that they have received my application.

In an ideal world yes. In the real world though where they might receive hundreds of applications for one job you really expect them to waste their time replying to them all?

Bllx to that. When I need to recruit someone new only those selected for an interview get any contact. Most applications end up in the bin, of those many don't even get read as a cursory examination reveals spelling mistakes or painful formatting.

jb

I'm in the same position i'm desperate for employment and not getting anywhere with it all you can do is keep trying and i know how depressing it is as it get me down as-well but keep going and something will come along

I have applied for jobs that I have over 30 years experience fit all the criteria live within a short distance and have references that back all experience up yet still no acknowledgement. It winds me up.

i know how you feel it winds me up to seems like no employers will give us a chance someone said to me why dont you try a charity shop to gain experience but when your desperate for money just to live all you can do is keep applying im getting to my last tether with it and dont know what else to do

What is it with employers nowadays, I sent well over 250 applications out and only 2 replies. and they are agencies for jobs that don't exist:confused:

If you have applied for 250 jobs it generally means that:

1) a large amount of the jobs you were not suitably qualified to do and applied for them as a punt. There's no way, unless you're talking about a 4 year period, that you were qualified for 250 jobs in the city of Sheffield.

2) you are sending out a generic CV/ covering letter to each one without paying special attention to the job description and person specification.

Regarding point 2, consider having to trawl through 50 applications for a single job. Any which have not bothered to tailor their CV and covering letter for the role advertised I am not even going to bother considering.

Narrow your search and personalise your applications even if it means walking in to places to introduce yourself to the management.

You also state that you are not hearing back from jobs for which you have 30 years experience and exceptional references. This can only mean that your applications are awful. Get a professional to look over your CV as something is clearly wrong

Edited by BarryRiley

I'm not sure that many jobs are actually filled in the traditional way (applying for an advertised vacancy).

It's more about who you know which may seem unfair but the reality is you have to get out there and meet people. Use LinkedIn/Facebook to contact ex-colleagues and managers. Invite the successful/influential ones out for coffee. As per a previous post, volunteer, get experience and meet new people.

Also why not consider starting your own business. It's not difficult and you don't need an original idea. There are plenty of replicatable businesses out there

Also why not consider starting your own business. It's not difficult and you don't need an original idea. There are plenty of replicatable businesses out there

I wonder how much people realistically earn from this kind of thing...

http://fiverr.com

Maybe not so much; but if you can come up with something that's largely automated, and do a high volume of low value sales, that doesn't take up your whole day...

You know, it's a start, and who knows where it may lead. Seems better that spending time applying for jobs.

If you have applied for 250 jobs it generally means that:

1) a large amount of the jobs you were not suitably qualified to do and applied for them as a punt. There's no way, unless you're talking about a 4 year period, that you were qualified for 250 jobs in the city of Sheffield.

2) you are sending out a generic CV/ covering letter to each one without paying special attention to the job description and person specification.

Regarding point 2, consider having to trawl through 50 applications for a single job. Any which have not bothered to tailor their CV and covering letter for the role advertised I am not even going to bother considering.

Narrow your search and personalise your applications even if it means walking in to places to introduce yourself to the management.

You also state that you are not hearing back from jobs for which you have 30 years experience and exceptional references. This can only mean that your applications are awful. Get a professional to look over your CV as something is clearly wrong

What line of business are you in anyway? It's obvious you have your own company and before you judge this person.....

1/ You don't even know what his qualifications are without asking

2/ You don't know if his CV is just a standard one or whether he has had one done by a professional

3/ Have you even looked at what jobs are genuine and what are available?

4/How do you even know his applications are awful? Were you there when he applied for jobs?

5/He is obviously applying for jobs he is qualified to do, he wouldn't apply for something he can't do