Rounders in the 50's

I was a pupil at Sharrow Lane from 51 to 58

In 1957/8 whilst in Junior 4, I played in the school Rounders team, with Mr Foster in charge

We played Meersbrook Bank, Anns Road and Carfield home and away.

For left handers in the play ground at Sharrow Lane, scoring 4 off one hit was easy, your knock went over the wall into South View Road.

One day whilst fielding at 2nd base, a lad on the opposing side ran past and knocked the base over. The upright pole stood on a metal stand. When I put my foot on it to it bring back up vertical, I was wacked good and hard by the pole on my face. My nose immediately grew to twice it's size ! One game whilst fielding, I was running to catch a ball with my eyes on it and collided with one of the metal stanchions that supported an enclosure at the side of the lads toilets. I still have the scar on my forehead 50+ years on. Dangerous game was Rounders !

Happy days !

I was a pupil at Sharrow Lane from 51 to 58

In 1957/8 whilst in Junior 4, I played in the school Rounders team, with Mr Foster in charge

We played Meersbrook Bank, Anns Road and Carfield home and away.

For left handers in the play ground at Sharrow Lane, scoring 4 off one hit was easy, your knock went over the wall into South View Road.

One day whilst fielding at 2nd base, a lad on the opposing side ran past and knocked the base over. The upright pole stood on a metal stand. When I put my foot on it to it bring back up vertical, I was wacked good and hard by the pole on my face. My nose immediately grew to twice it's size ! One game whilst fielding, I was running to catch a ball with my eyes on it and collided with one of the metal stanchions that supported an enclosure at the side of the lads toilets. I still have the scar on my forehead 50+ years on. Dangerous game was Rounders !

Happy days !

I played in the 50s with Hucklow Rd junior school, I am coming up 65yrs old and dtill playing in the South Yorkshire league, indoors winter outside summer. You should come along and join a few of we oldies. Its sfer nowadays