Why did The Labour Party choose Jeremy Corbyn as leader?

I was reading a survey in The Times regarding the opinion of Labour Party members.

They were asked to rate the performance of the 2 main party leaders. Almost twice as many Labour Party members though Cameron was doing a good job as Prime Minister as thought Corbyn was doing well as Labour leader. More thought Corbyn was doing a bad job than thought Cameron was doing a bad job.

When asked about the chance of Corbyn ever becoming Prime Minister two thirds thought it unlikely. Only 14% thought it likely.

These are the folk who voted for him as their party leader. Why????

Edited by exxon

I heard different. That the party membership was in favour of Corbyn while the MP's were not. This would support the argument that for a many years Labour has not represented its membership.

Edited by Berberis
typo

I heard different. That the party membership was in favour of Corbyn while the MP's where not. This would support the argument that for a many years Labour has not represented its membership.

I'm sure you are right. But the Times survey was conducted across the party membership, not the MPs. It is the very folk who voted for Corbyn against the advice of the MPs who don't think he is doing a good job or is in with a shout of becoming their Prime Minister.

Look at it this way.The deputy leader of the labour party is TOM WATSON,the leader is JEREMY CORBYN.So it's official now,the labour party is led by TOM and JERRY!

I was reading a survey in The Times.... Why????

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder how free and fair the vote really was though, you had all the Tory boys signing up to stick a vote down because they thought Corbyn was a mug.

Then you had all the union goons telling their members who they should vote for.

No-one was forced anyway, but it seems like maybe Labour got the leader they deserved??

He was always going to be nothing more than a caretaker leader.

People voted for him because he was the best of a bad bunch and to send a message to Labour that people had enough of the New Labour guard.

I think there was much mischief making during the leadership election...

I am a fan of Corbyn. I voted for him in the leadership contest, but I am sad that the party seems to be ripping itself to pieces over his election. A lot of this is simply to do with the media hatchet job going on, but equally I think Corbyn is just too divisive to do a good job of leading no matter how much I agree with his policies. Being a leader is more than just having good ideas, it about getting others to come with you to make those ideas happen and I'm losing faith that Corbyn can do that.

He was always going to be nothing more than a caretaker leader.

People voted for him because he was the best of a bad bunch and to send a message to Labour that people had enough of the New Labour guard.

This is my understanding. Many in Labour were sick and tired of the likes of Mandelson, both his style of politics (triangulation), and that they saw no discernible difference between the politics of the left and right.

I'm not a Labour Party supporter anymore (having stopped supporting them after 2001 election), so perhaps my views are not representative of the membership.

I was reading a survey in The Times regarding the opinion of Labour Party members.

They were asked to rate the performance of the 2 main party leaders. Almost twice as many Labour Party members though Cameron was doing a good job as Prime Minister as thought Corbyn was doing well as Labour leader. More thought Corbyn was doing a bad job than thought Cameron was doing a bad job.

When asked about the chance of Corbyn ever becoming Prime Minister two thirds thought it unlikely. Only 14% thought it likely.

These are the folk who voted for him as their party leader. Why????

Because the alternative was one of Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.

---------- Post added 25-11-2015 at 12:52 ----------

I heard different. That the party membership was in favour of Corbyn while the MP's where not. This would support the argument that for a many years Labour has not represented its membership.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head I'm afraid. And it's a major factor in the open civil war currently engulfing Labour.