Embassy thursday nights

who remembers the embassy on thursday nights, good night out!

How could I forget the Embassy? I used to work on the door giving out tickets, also in the cloakroom. Back in late 50s/ early 60s. Ron Darling or was it Starling(?) was the owner. Doorman named Bert, an ex policeman, and a guy called Lol whose job was to keep the ladies happy dancing with them. He danced off the scene with one of them .. literally...they went AWOL :hihi:

Edited by soft ayperth

Correction - names of the operators of the Embassy were Ron and Ellen Storey. Checked it out. They had a flat inside the ballroom complex. Don't know what I was think of with the Starling name - a Sheffield Wednesday footballer from before my time, perhaps. :huh:

Wasn't Thursday nites 'bag a slag' night in competition with the Top Ranks 'grab a granny'?

Don't know what I was think of with the Starling name

stop staring out the window at the birds :hihi:

stop staring out the window at the birds :hihi:

That's funny, denomis. Even funnier in North America where I live as the word "bird" can carry an entirely different meaning. That caused me all kinds of embarassment when I first moved over here. :hihi:

Back to the Embassy. It evolved during the 60s from an old fasioned, staid kind of place where people brought along their dancing shoes and wore evening dress to a place where singles picked one another up. When I worked there it didn't even had a bar. The band (a proper dance band) took an intermission and folk left the place to go to one of the local pubs.

We used to the the Embassy "The last chance saloon" or "The widows hut".

We used to the the Embassy "The last chance saloon" or "The widows hut".

Went to a few Christmas "dos" there with Mac Market Pinstone , we always

had a fantastic time .Anyone remember Mac market ?

I worked behind the bar from 1992-97,and we called in grab a granny night!

Correction - names of the operators of the Embassy were Ron and Ellen Storey. Checked it out. They had a flat inside the ballroom complex. Don't know what I was think of with the Starling name - a Sheffield Wednesday footballer from before my time, perhaps. :huh:

Happy times at the Embassy (Thursdays and Saturdays) in the 80's. Remember the band and the "tickling stick" on of the band used to wave about and the cloakroom lady who sat knitting and who provided us girls with emergency needle and cotton for essential repairs.

How could I forget the Embassy? I used to work on the door giving out tickets, also in the cloakroom. Back in late 50s/ early 60s. Ron Darling or was it Starling(?) was the owner. Doorman named Bert, an ex policeman, and a guy called Lol whose job was to keep the ladies happy dancing with them. He danced off the scene with one of them .. literally...they went AWOL :hihi:

Ron Starling was the captain of Sheffield Wednesday - I went to school with his daughter.

I think the Lol you refer to was Lol Wright; he used to be a lineman for GPO Telephones in the 1960s/ 70s.