Maurice Houdmont ex Sheffield teacher

Somewhat surprised that nobody picked up news of the death of Maurice Houdmont in January 2013. He taught at Meersbrook Bank, Newfield and Hurlfield schools. There is plenty of mention of him on this Forum.

A formidable guy who you crossed at your peril, but if like me you were a goody 2 shoes, you never incurred his wrath.

He was at times OTT with his attitude and punishment. However he was a damn good teacher and went out of his way to help lads out of school hours with their work.

He was fully involved with school life at Newfield, especially trips out of school hours. During the Newfield trip to Belguim and Holland in 1960 he was extremely helpful and informative.

Thanks for the memories !!

Somewhat surprised that nobody picked up news of the death of Maurice Houdmont in January 2013. He taught at Meersbrook Bank, Newfield and Hurlfield schools. There is plenty of mention of him on this Forum.

A formidable guy who you crossed at your peril, but if like me you were a goody 2 shoes, you never incurred his wrath.

He was at times OTT with his attitude and punishment. However he was a damn good teacher and went out of his way to help lads out of school hours with their work.

He was fully involved with school life at Newfield, especially trips out of school hours. During the Newfield trip to Belguim and Holland in 1960 he was extremely helpful and informative.

Thanks for the memories !!

Many thanks for the notice.... 'Runningman' ... /...Myself - I don't look down the death announcements...so I didn't know...I remember him well.....(Newfield)...I recall that he was with the top class...3-1 or 4-1 ?...Of course it's sad news too but it doesn't surprise me of our old teachers' passing ... I am 67 myself !....all the best from D.G.Johnson

Edited by oscar2157

Sorry to hear about Mr Houdmont, he taught me maths at Hurlfield (68 to 73) and went out of his way to explain the intricacies that I didn't understand, he was a fantastic teacher, R.I.P.

Farewell, Sue Goddard

rip my friend

was deputy head when I was at hurlfield have a lot of respect for the man god bless you

I was at Hurlfield from 61 to 66 and remember him taking over as deputy head. He had a striking head of grey hair and was very forthright.

Never experienced him as a teacher but certainly recall how he imposed discipline and wouldn't tolerate any dissent.

Think my outstanding memory was him dealing with a pupil who had called a black pupil a" black b*****d". He bawled at him "and I'm a white one. What you want to do about it?" All the time having the kid pinned up against a wall with his fist in his face. Brilliant and effective. Today he'd have been arrested.

I'd say he was committed to discipline and order. If what we hear about unruly behaviour in present day schools is correct then pity there aren't teachers like him about today.

yes I also remember him especially the mop of grey hair. always frightened the s**t out of me so always made a point of never crossing him.

Sad to hear. " Yee Gods!" I remember him well.

I had him as an English teacher for a while, Gave me some of the best advice of any teacher. 'Read books', I did and i've never stopped

On one of my many attempts at my algebra homework I had about two pages of what I thought was a complete mess up. I didn't get the answer but had to turn something in. when I got it back Mr Houdemont had written on it ,A VERY GOOD TRY. He could see I had tried ,but the fact he noticed is something I still remember. He was very strict but fair and really did want you to learn.If he caned you, you deserved it. R.I.P. and thank you for educating me.