History of Laycocks

Both Jacobs and Black & Decker opened their Suzhou factories at the same time. I know that loads of rejects originally were sent to B&D at Spennymoor for correction. Then over time the rejects declined until Jacobs Sheffield closed and B&D only make Dewalt now at Spennymoor. When I went to Clemson it was the head factory of Jacobs their other factories were Sheffield, Suzhou and 1 in Japan. I had the Visa to go to Suzhou but my company then decided to send someone else to keep me on a bigger job in Birmingham.

My speciality was Induction Hardening after I left Laycocks. Remember Chris Morris who used to work for me then left my company to work at Jacobs?

The name rings a bell Saben, was he an electrician ?

The chucks from Jacob's in Suzhou also came over to Sheffield for their first few years of manufacturing for quality purposes.

Edited by Michael_W

The name rings a bell Saben, was he an electrician ?

The chucks from Jacob's in Suzhou also came over to Sheffield for their first few years of manufacturing for quality purposes.

Yes Chris was the dark swarthy one. Unfortunately where he lived his company car kept on being stolen so our MD stopped him taking it home.

I am trying to remember the name of the quality inspector from Sheffield who relocated to Clemson. He thought living in the USA was wonderful at the time.

Later on I saw him back at Jacobs Sheffield somewhat disgruntled with America.

Yes Chris was the dark swarthy one. Unfortunately where he lived his company car kept on being stolen so our MD stopped him taking it home.

I am trying to remember the name of the quality inspector from Sheffield who relocated to Clemson. He thought living in the USA was wonderful at the time.

Later on I saw him back at Jacobs Sheffield somewhat disgruntled with America.

That would probably be this lad here:

link

I was a friend of Ted Hall a long time ago anyone have any information about him what happened to him if he is still around he will be in his nineties by now he used to live on millmount road and I used to go out with his daughter...

I was a friend of Ted Hall a long time ago anyone have any information about him what happened to him if he is still around he will be in his nineties by now he used to live on millmount road and I used to go out with his daughter...

I went to work a Laycocks when I got out of the army (National Service), I knew Ted hall and worked in the same shop, it was sort of a metal fabricating shop. I don't know where he lived, I do know he was a club act but not aware what type of performing he did. I think he had been married a couple of times though.

Hello there. My dad, Fred Brookes, worked at Laycocks. I lost him in February after a long battle with Parkinsons Disease. I was googling his name like you do and found this forum. It brought back many happy memories, especially the Christmas parties I used to attend with my menace of a little sister :D

Anyone remember my dad?

Hi

i worked with your dad for a few years, he was a lovely man bless him. He had Parkinsons then but always made light of it. I was at Laycocks approx 11 years up till around 1989 working on the plate line, my name is Shaun Goddard by the way.

Thats great to hear from someone who knew my Dad. Yes thats right we did move Greenhill. He seemed to have been liked by people....and could be a bit of a character himself.

I know this is a bit away from the topic but can anyone remember who was the pension provider for laycocks on archer road as I worked there for a number of years and paid into the pension but moved away and lost contact. I am owed something as it was frozen and they will only have my old address.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi..the provider is GKN pensions, if you Google it then contact them they will find your details

hope this helps...

I was so sorry to hear that one of my old mates in the Cutter Grinders at Archer Road Harold Broadhirst died recently..

He was a guy who though life dealt him a cruel blow at birth was always the same and lived life to the full....

Hi not posted on this thread before and would have liked it to have been a happier posting but it is just to let my dad David Kelseys former colleagues know that he passed away on the 3.02.14 after a long illness.

Hi

I know this post was a few years ago but my Dad is John North, he doesn't go on the internet very much but if you want me to pass on any messages i would be happy to do so.

Messing about on internet and came upon a name from the past. I was an apprentice with John North along with John Styring in 1963. I retired two years ago and now live in Plymouth.