Did anyone go to St Maries school on Edmund Rd

Hi nora! Pat from the shop was my first girl friend! Problem was i didn't know if she new or not! I was 10/11 years at that time.

my sisterpat told me pat shaw had passed away ,am i on the right pat. ike grayson from the shop had a fruit barrow bottom of dixon lane my brother mick was his barrow boy.

---------- Post added 17-01-2014 at 09:49 ----------

sorry not Dixon Lane it was attercliffe

---------- Post added 17-01-2014 at 09:57 ----------

anyone remember CELIA MIDDLETON from st vincents she was in my class we were tought by Sister Cecelia. SISTER LUCYwas the headmistress.

no one seems to remember sister hillery she used the bat on me many times. i wonder what happened to her when the school closed,

Any go to St Maries RC

yes i went to stmaries then it moved to fullwood miss kain was 1 off my teachers and sister mary denis with her big table tennis bat was headteacher i started school there at 4 ,1/2 or 5 in 1969

when i went to st mariesin the 50s sister hillery was the head teacher,i was very afraid of this nun. who took great delight in hitting me with the bat. why were the nuns so evil and wicked.they wouldent get away with it today. thank god my father took me away from st maries.

Didn't go to St. Maries [fortunately] but i did live on 15,Hanover Lane till 1948. Nelly.who had a club foot,had a grocers shop at the top of the lane. The first house down from there was the Gummer family [my grandparents] next door was our family house. In the next one lived a lady called Irene & her daughter [ Yvonne?] & below them was the Davies family. [Who had two rooms downstairs, & a yard!]

The others had three rooms in the house, living room, bedroom,& attic, plus a coal cellar, with a bomb site for a view & outside toilets. No complaints though, Mum made it a home! Incidently, my school was Pomona St.

I went to Pomona street 52-58 miss Lofthouse was the one to watch there, I am left handed and she would hit me across the back of the left hand with the edge of the ruler every time I used it.

iwent to st maries on edmond rd then stmaries in fullwood before i left to go come to scotland but still remember my pals n old sister mary dennis with her big bat ouch n mrs kain i had to get a school bus from gleadless to go to fullwood a long journey back then

There was a rumour that went round when the school became empty. A kid called mark (surname withheld due to shame lol) went to steal the school bell. This was apparently quite big and heavy? and fell on him causing him some injury. I have a vague memory the bell was high up on a wall or roof. Can anyone recall?

The Bell was in small tower at thr top of the stairs...There was a door on the landing you went through to rech the bell ... Cant remember where the rope was.. But the bell had me running most mornings,,

The Bell was in small tower at thr top of the stairs...There was a door on the landing you went through to rech the bell ... Cant remember where the rope was.. But the bell had me running most mornings,,

the bell was in the tower underneath the spire remember at end off term it got rung by one off the kids that were goin up to high school ,i remember starting school there and the 1st day my mother droped me off the big door slammed an sister mary dennis was standing there in her sisters outfit i cried my eyes out trying to open the door to go after my mom an sister mary dennis took me to a class a calmed down but she put fear of god into me age 5 with that bat she carried i got a wack with it to a year or to later owch lol an misscain hit me on head with a big fat bible im sure my neck went in my body but they were the days i think it was 1969 i started rory powell was in my class good lad n a lad thackery n a lass barbara good old days at stmaries old school but the went to full wood it took ages to get there a but was put on from tower block at gleadless near shops I also remember a polish lad George , and a lad james I lost my confermation fotos can anyone tell me how to get copys of my classes confermation ad be a happy man ian thackery wasin my class rory powell George a polish lad, n james he had red hair I think my names William Kelly born 64 when to st marries from 67 68ish till it shut then fullwood for a year or two our teacher was miss cain at old n new an sistermary denise bat aswell

Edited by wullie kelly
adding extra info

Nora Ismay Reading ur post Pat Shaw was my mum she was Emily Graysons daughter and my grandad Ike did have a barrow on the cliffe. I remember ur Mick. Mum has passed away in february 2013 she is missed every day She often talked about her school days and wud be chuffed people remember her:)

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 14:04 ----------

we lived at 27 hanover lane off hodgson st at the top was milton st. our next door neighbour was nellie willis the next one up was mrs garside thenjohn and helen Hudson they had twe daughters valarie and linda. thea lady that had the shop was emla grayson she had a son called leonard and daughter called pat. i,m 72 years now but i recall playing in the lane very clearly

it was a long way to walk to school in those days.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 19:16 ----------

was it upper hanover lane where you lived

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 07:45 ----------

i was in miss worths class and i rememberr her hitting my sister who was younger than me with a rubber dagger in the play ground.:(does any one rememberJohnReagan and Philip Hobson i will be forever grateful to Johnas he came to help me after being bullied by Paddy Lanigan for me and my brother and sister it was a School FROM hELL.

Norma my mum was Pat Shaw she married Richard Stirling I remember ur Mick. Mum has passed away in 2013 she often talked about her school days

There was a rumour that went round when the school became empty. A kid called mark (surname withheld due to shame lol) went to steal the school bell. This was apparently quite big and heavy? and fell on him causing him some injury. I have a vague memory the bell was high up on a wall or roof. Can anyone recall?

Kartawick by any chance?

My good friends George & Bill Wood attended St Marie`s in the 40`s & 50`s.

They both went on to De La Salle.