Parkwood springs

Slade's film Flame has a sequence (at 52m52s) looking down Douglas Road to Neepsend.

Can anyone tell me if the sequence at 29m53s, with similar housing and hillside position, is also Parkwood Springs?

I believe the film was made in 1974 and most of the housing is boarded up and ready for demolition.

Hugh

Slade's film Flame has a sequence (at 52m52s) looking down Douglas Road to Neepsend.

Can anyone tell me if the sequence at 29m53s, with similar housing and hillside position, is also Parkwood Springs?

I believe the film was made in 1974 and most of the housing is boarded up and ready for demolition.

Hugh

Yes they are both Douglas Road, think the letter box he's looking through could be 205

Fascinating reading. My mother, grandparents and great grandparents lived in the area from the 20s to the 60s - Fosters, Whitworths.

Hi

it is so good to find this forum

I still have nightmares about the demise of Parkwood Spring

My grandparents ran the chip shop from after the war until its compulsory purchase. I remember seeing their brand new fryers lying in the road when we drove past a few months after they moved out. Their names were Minnie and Harry Turner.

As a little girl I had frequent visits and spend frequent overnights. I remember The shop ran by Mrs Fox and Mrs Fletcher who helped my Grandma with the cleaning. I used to sell Ben Shaws at the back door. Does anyone remember two little girls who used to try and surprise Mrs Turner and jump out behind the chip shop counter?

My grandparents had an amazing firework display for all their customers ever year. I remember treacle toffee, fireworks and an amazing 'Guy'. Masses of people would crush into their back garden to watch the fireworks. it was a very exciting thing for me as a little girl.

I remember the horrible way the relocation of the community happened. My grandparents were very upset about it. I remember my grandmother crying when she came back from visiting an elderly lady relocated in a high rise flat, isolated from the people in Parkwood Springs who loved and cared for her

I have been living in South Africa since 1971 . I still dream about Parkwood Springs and the times I spent with my grandparents in the chip shop. As a child I felt really lucky to get my grandma's fish,chips and mushy peas for free :)

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers

Julie

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 01:23 ----------

I remember walking up Vale Rd to my Grandparents (Turner) chip shop at the top of Vale Rd. The chip shop was a corner house right at he top of the road. What a long walk up the hill, but close to the top I would smell the fish & chips and start to feel very hungry. I would sneak into the shop with my sister thinking my Grandma hadn't seen us and then hide behind the counter. My Grandma would lean over the counter and ask "who is next?". When we jumped up behind the counter to surprise her she would act as though she hadn't seen us. The customers waiting would always let us in and seemed to enjoy the fun. I realize now that my Grandma must have spotted us from the moment we walked in the door, but she did a good job of pretending she was surprised.

Julie

Edited by JulieP24
Spelling

Hi

So sorry I didn't see this a few years ago. Too late for an answer but here it is anyway.I have lived in South Africa since 1971 and only occasionally browse Sheffield history.

The Parkwood Springs debacle is never-the-less very close to my heart. It seems that the callous disregard for people and communities is not limited to South Africa. Where ever a quick buck is to be made people will be disregarded.

There are many excuses given for disrupting lives e,g. quality of life, Health reasons or racial segregation. It can make the rich uncomfortable to drive past poor housing, Yet drab buildings can house a rich community, wealthy in all the things that matter.

As a toddler I could wander outside and my Grandmother would know I was safe and that someone was 'keeping an eye on me'

My grandparents Harry and Minnie Turner ran the chip shop on the top corner of Vale Rd.

it was quite a large corner house with 3 bedrooms, kitchen wth coal stove and separate gas stove, lounge,cellar and attic. The kitchen door accessed a passage which led to a front door and the shop was accessed from here (1st door to right from this passage). The shop exterior door was on the Vale Rd side). The passage near the front door accessed stairs to the bedrooms, bathroom and attic. There was a porch at the back door(Mount Rd) and my grandparents sold Ben Shaws, crisps, icecream and frozen food via this door.

There was a garden which originally had grass and a swing and not long before they had to sell, the garden was laid with crazy paving. There was also a large yard with a toilet and shed for the preparation of chips. She cut the chips on a large concrete counter. In the shed was an old machine which my Grandma called' the rumbler'. She put in the potatoes and switched on the machine and the machine moved making the spuds rub against each other. There was a loud rumbling noise and the skins were removed using friction. As a small child I found the 'rumbler, quite awesome.

Shortly before they were forced to sell, my grandparents bought new fryers. The city council would not allow them to be removed as the were considered to be fixtures. A few months after moving out we took a drive up Vale Rd and saw the ' friers' lying in the road. My whole family were completely shocked to see that. It seemed unnecessarily cruel.

For many years my grandparents held a firework display on Nov 5th. All the chip shop customers were invited . Everone crushed into the back garden to watch. The bonfires were huge, the 'Guy' was impressive and my Grandma made toffee :)

I remember watching large bird migrations fly over Parkwod Spings. As a small child I would get quite engrossed,watching them.

Julie

Edited by JulieP24
Error

Julie the birds would have been Starlings, a murmuration. I lived in Pye Bank and Parkwood Springs was our playground.

There were thousands of them every year, they fascinated me as well, an amazing sight.

I saw a mini version at Parkgate a couple of months ago, it brought back many memories.

Thanks so much for sending this. A truly amazing sight -WOW!

Jim was indeed a top bloke but sadly he died quite a few years ago. They moved to Kinnaird Avenue on Shiregreen, close by me. His wifeJ ean is still living as far as I know but I have'nt seen her for about a year.

Did you know either John or Steve Searle who lived on Douglas Road and frequented The Douglas or Lorraine Smith who lived Just below the Smythes and was a friend of Janet?

I used to go out with Lorraine Smith in the 1970s would be nice to get in touch with her again.

I lived at the Douglas Inn right at the top of Douglas Road until it closed in 1974.

My aunty and uncle Joan and Clarrie Whittaker owned the pub. Does anybody remember them ?