What events would interest you?

A show and tell night. If anybody has an idea, concept, thought, invention, project they are working on its a show and tell, get beer and pizza involved these can be brilliant!

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 15:36 ----------

Each person who wants to 'show and tell' gets 5 minutes with a Q and A.

Is there anything similar in Sheffield currently? Not sure we should limit it or should we.

Is there anything similar in Sheffield currently? Not sure we should limit it or should we.

No. I got the idea from one I went to in Birmingham.

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 16:28 ----------

I liked it cos it removed the boundaries, you can present on anything in any style. So its not a business event in that sense...although you could make it all about tech, fashion, anything the audience is into...thats the fun.

Personally I wouldn't limit it to any topic. The fun would be the unexpected - the random ideas viewpoints, theories and rants.

Personally I wouldn't limit it to any topic. The fun would be the unexpected - the random ideas viewpoints, theories and rants.

that sounds cool. A free for all!

Or even better still...

What about some big, gay, speed-dancing, cosplay tea parties???

...with cross dressing strippers!!! :thumbsup:

Wow. That's a party I'd go to! Where can I get a ticket?:hihi:

As a city centre venue, with a fairly large function room, we have hosted numerous different events during our two years of operation but we find attendances vary wildly so I thought I'd ask what sort of event would make you venture into town? (If you don't already live there) What would be the best day/time? etc

We have a bar, projector and large screen in the function room and can host music, dance, film etc and open to absolutely any ideas. What things do you think would work well in Sheffield that they don't have elsewhere or that others don't do well?

This is a genuine question. Any sensible responses are most welcome.

Hi, Eten,

I have just come across your thread, and I would be REALLY interested in getting some regular LGBT meetings/events happening at your venue, especially as it is in the city centre, making it more accessible than some of the popular hangouts in places like Heeley or London Road.

What I was thinking about was something along the line of a regular (monthly?) LGBT Writing/Reading/Poetry/ arts group, as I am wanting to get a proper annual LGBT Arts Festival going and a LOT of LGBT social and support groups work on a Zero budget or have had funding cut back and one problem stifling the development of such groups around the country is the lack of FREE venues for events; even the great Delicatessen Theatre on the Moor has to charge for use of its space as it is quite a large premises and does have running costs.

In addition, I am setting up a social network for LGBT people with autism and Aspergers Syndrome, such as myself, as I have discovered a lot of autistic people among the lesbians, gays and transgenders I have met all over the local area and other parts of the country. I will be needing a free venue for a Sheffield meeting which will take place every 2 months; ideally the first meeting will be on the 4th Wednesday of July (22nd July), so it would be nice to see if you have space available that night. FYI, the initial meeting would be a very informal meetup of maybe no more than 4-5 people, as things have to start somewhere, but eventually we might get more and develop it from an informal introduction and chat about being LGBT and autistic, into something more involved such as planning events, trips, engaging in board-games, computer games, creative activities, music, inviting speakers from Autistic support groups, etc.

I do hope people will be interested in my ideas; you are best replying to me through this thread as my inbox doesen't ever have much space and I have had PM's bouncing and not received them until weeks afterwards.:rant::love:

Film nights might be popular. I used to live in Newcastle and a local cafe there ran successful screenings.

How about a vegetarian/vegan evening? I know you already have lovely veggie food, but a completely Veg menu would be wonderful. Think there's only Blue Moon that's solely veggie in the city centre, and its too "canteeny" for a special evening out. :)

Hello all,

Have been away so didn't see these follow ups. The spout forth in 5 minutes is something we're going to look at.

I believe the LGBT idea has been followed up by email, correct me if I'm wrong.

Film nights are a great idea and we have the facilities but red tape has got in the way. Will get back to you on that one.

We do do a meat free special's board each Monday but to go totally vegetarian, having been otherwise for our 2+ year, seems a very risky plan that may be a step too far. We always offer vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options and as everything is made to order please ask if we don't seem to have what you need.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Eten

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 17:55 ----------

Sorry,

I misread the veggie/vegan for one night bit. Every week/monthly or sporadically?

Eten.