Tree campaign in Sheffield in 2016 (continuation thread)

The campaign against the felling of healthy trees in Sheffield has become the focus of national organisations and leading lights of the arboricultural world.

What campaigners have been saying for many months has been given credence by hard evidence collected by acclaimed experts who are now lending their voices and support to progress the campaign aims in 2016 and expose the lies constantly repeated parrot fashion by those in council who don't know any better because they don't know the first thing about the value of our street trees.

Add to this the fact that arboriculturists within Amey who do know about trees are misusing their knowledge to effect felling where other solutions can and should be used and you quickly come to realise that the claims made by Councillor Fox, Councillor Dore and others in council that "felling is always the last resort" are the stuff of political chicanery and are as close to the truth as saying black is white.

Councillors...the truth is out!

This article was written by Jeremy Barrell.

http://www.hortweek.com/according-barrell-highway-engineers-failing-champion-trees/arboriculture/article/1372271

And this too.

Sheffield's secret shame: In the last four months, over 1,000 trees have been felled in Sheffield's streets, implemented by Amey and sanctioned by Sheffield City Council.

I visited last week and was shocked at the scale of tree removals and the poorly explained reasons for those losses. I saw extremely valuable street trees, some of obvious heritage value, earmarked for removal in 2016, and this elm was one of them. It is one of the few remaining elms in Sheffield and as such is of sufficient scientific value to make it a Grade II listed heritage asset. It is proposed to remove it because of minor highway damage, which seems insignificant compared to the heritage value of the tree.

Furthermore, the local residents do not want the tree removed, hence the call for support at the rally at Chelsea Road tomorrow (see post below). If you can attend, then that would be great, but if not, then voice your support through the Sheffield Trees Action Group website. Here are a couple of images showing the tree and the limited damage to the adjacent surfacing.

If you want to help save this heritage Elm tree please come to the junction of Union Road/Chelsea Road in Nether edge tomorrow (Saturday 2nd January) at ten minutes to ten (am)

Finally, a clear message to Councillor Terry Fox. Your attempts to subvert the campaign by using divide and rule tactics has not worked! It is exposed for what it is...a political shambles that makes you and whoever else conceived the idea left to wipe the egg of your faces.

Your survey has become the stuff of legend! The biggest, badly organised comedy of errors in Sheffield's recent history. You have made this proud city into something of a laughing stock. I've seen better organised primary school projects!

I'm looking forwards to 2016 and you people in the Town Hall snapping out of whatever delusion you're living in and coming to your senses!

The fight is on!

PS. Unfortunately the images did not transfer and I apologise for my technological deficiency. You can view them on the STAG Facebook page as well as reading more information if you wish. Alternatively go to the STAG website at http://www.savesheffieldtrees.org.uk

Zzzzzzzzzz.

We've got enough trees not to miss a few. I'd prefer decent paths and roads FOR ALL, not a massive amount of our cash wasted to keep just a few people happy.

Zzzzzzzzzz.

We've got enough trees not to miss a few. I'd prefer decent paths and roads FOR ALL, not a massive amount of our cash wasted to keep just a few people happy.

Re my bold above.

Maybe you need an early night megalithic. :)

Money is being wasted by felling the healthy trees actually! Add the cost to public health and it becomes even more significant.

You can have decent paths and roads and keep the healthy trees.

Really not going to waste my time on this subject any more. Absolutely pointless "he who shouts loudest" contest.

Yes I think that's the right one.

One of only a handful of mature elms left in the country outside of Brighton and Edinburgh. Dutch elm disease continues to kill elms when they reach a few years old, making repopulating the country impossible.

As this elm is estimated to be between 150-200 years old it could well be resistant to the fungus, and could be used to produce resistant saplings.

Trees in Hands worth being chopped down , it such a crime. Got a letter from Clive Bette a while back about him organising a meeting but nothing since and trees continue to be chopped.Perhaps we will have a meeting after they have all been chopped down. Sounds about right.

Drove through Rustlings Road today.

I hope the Save the Tree Campaigners are going to be fined for littering. The place looks a disgrace.

Sheffield's secret shame....It is one of the few remaining elms in Sheffield and as such is of sufficient scientific value to make it a Grade II listed heritage asset. It is proposed to remove it because of minor highway damage, which seems insignificant compared to the heritage value of the tree

Makes me so proud to be a Sheffielder

Not :shakes:

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 01:12 ----------

Trees in Hands worth being chopped down , it such a crime. Got a letter from Clive Bette a while back about him organising a meeting but nothing since and trees continue to be chopped.Perhaps we will have a meeting after they have all been chopped down. Sounds about right.

This Labour Council is utterly useless! :mad:

Someone needs to grow a pair at Town Hall!

ShAmey is riding rough shod over EVERYONE :mad:

Fox is the only guy to stop this madness....

Are you LISTENING Feller Fox?!