Gibbet in sheffield

Can anyone recall the name of the fellow who was hanged and hung in a gibbet somewhere down attercliffe many years ago?

Spence Broughton. Do a search, there are other threads on the subject.

His recent family member Roy Broughton managed Mister Kites Wine Bar for several years, the establishment was owned by Brian Mooney who was a descendant of George Mooney the leader of the notorious Sheffield gang.

I'll bet that place was the centre of some memories and tales over the years.

There is a pub opposite the Arena called The Noose and Gibbet on Broughton Lane.

Worth a look. Presumably the building top centerish is Carbrook Hall, the dangling man Spencer Broughton and the two dogs distantly related to those I had money on at Owlerton on Friday night. The pub by the couple walking was I think called "The Rose"

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t00983&prevUrl=

Edited by Odd-jobs

Spence was found guilty and hanged in York for holding up the mail coach and his body was returned to Sheffield to be displayed to deter other would be thieves.

The place where it was displayed later went on to be known as Broughton Lane.

Spence was found guilty and hanged in York for holding up the mail coach and his body was returned to Sheffield to be displayed to deter other would be thieves.

The place where it was displayed later went on to be known as Broughton Lane.

Believe it or not Broughton Lane was probably not named after Spencer Broughton. Something to do with one of the landowners (probably the Duke of Norfolks) female relations.

---------- Post added 16-12-2014 at 14:36 ----------

Peter Harvey does make a good case. His argument is that the earliest he can trace the name Broughton is in the 1860's when the area started to be called Broughton Park. He argues that as the land belonged to the Duke of Norfolk he would have been involved in naming it, and unlikely to have named it after a hanged highwayman.

But the Duke did make a practice of using family names, and Lord William Howard, 1st Lord Howard of Effingham, was married to Katherine Broughton, sister and co-heir of John Broughton.

Not as romantic, but more realistic I think!

All I can find at the moment is this earlier discussion referencing Sheffield writer and historians Peter Harvey's take on the subject

Edited by Odd-jobs

You may well be right, I was simply parroting stories that may have been embellished over time and to add more power to your argument the area is rife with street names honouring past dignitaries.

You may well be right, I was simply parroting stories that may have been embellished over time and to add more power to your argument the area is rife with street names honouring past dignitaries.

hiya i was reading a book some while ago about the gibbet and sure it said it hung at trhe gate of what is now the sheffield cathederal,maybe i read it wrong but after a time when the skeleton was crumpling a potter picked the bones up and crushed them and mixed them with his clay and thats where bone china started, can this be true ?

...the skeleton was crumpling a potter picked the bones up and crushed them and mixed them with his clay and thats where bone china started, can this be true ?
It's a good story but bone china is evidently a bit older than Spence Broughton's gibbet - it was invented in London 1748 according to the Wikipedia article..:)

Dont forget Frank Fearn who was hung in a gibbet on Wadsley Common.