Do You Remember Jacks Sarsperilla Bar Langsett Rd

does any one have memories of JACKS on Langsett RD Hillsborough.? What happened to it and the owner?

It was like a youth club where people used to meet to save hanging around the streets.

Whats your memories?

I remember Jack's on Langsett Road.

On a Sunday we used to walk the 'Monkey Run' from the drink shop opposite the Hillsborough Cinema down past the park and the Hillsborough shops and up the hill to Jack's.

We'd have a drink of Vimto or sasparella at both ends of the run.

If it was cold we'd buy hot Oxo or Cocoa.

This was before the coffee bars started to open.

I bought a bottle of Sarsparella the other day made by Bundaberg the Australian firm (I'm in New Zealand)

It tasted like Doctor Peppers the American drink.

I don't remember it tasting like that in the old days but then there's been a couple of wars since then.

When I look back it was a sad sport walking about chatting the girls up and drinking Sarsparella but times were different then.

Happy Days!

Thanks popt i bet life in new zealand is a bit different to back then.Nice to know other people have got fond memories of back in the day.

Such a long time to go back(40s) but I'm sure I remember the taste of Root beer at Jacks ,So many bottles with stange names,and we had to try most as sweets were still on ration.

Such a long time to go back(40s) but I'm sure I remember the taste of Root beer at Jacks ,So many bottles with stange names,and we had to try most as sweets were still on ration.

I remember the sasparillo bar at Firth Park. I think is't a small convenience store now. That was where I first had vimto. Many moons ago.

Did that become the Coronation cafe where all the bikers used to hang out

Jack's didn't become a cafe; it closed in about the 1980s when Jack Lee retired. A kindly soul, he proudly advertised his BREWED sarsparilla (not watered down from cordial) and also sold his "special" which included a shot of blood tonic (whatever that was). As you entered the door there was a partition on the right, behind which was the "temperance bar" where young bloods would prop up the bar with a pint of sarsparilla, or play the pin table. If you just wanted some aspirins, Rizla papers, cough medicine, razor blades, Elastoplast or condoms you just went to the counter at the left side of the partition. Memories...

Did that become the Coronation cafe where all the bikers used to hang out

You are thinking of IXL cb shop, which originally started off 2 shops away from jacks before moving further down the road to the corner plot. I hung around in jacks sarsperilla bar in the 80's, especially when it was raining, great bloke, but didnt take any crap from the young ones. Sold great chocolate cinder toffee for 15p, a great big slab of it. I believe he lived up grenoside with his wife, and retired in the late 80's

I remember jacks. I used to play on the pin ball machine. He sold cigarettes two at a time. He was always friendly and seemed to like kids handing about in the shop. There was never any hassle and a nice atmosphere.

I remember going in and playing the pinball tables, 'Jack' was a right interesting old bloke and used to waffle on about the old days.

Great coffee too :0)

Never went to Jack's, living at the other side of town, but I do remember regularly calling in at a similar shop on Abbeydale Road, close to the cinema, after the Saturday matinee.

I remember passing the the place when I was younger. If I remember right it had a stone frontage with the words Temperance Bar tiled in to it and the window was full of adverts for Durex.