Italian descendants

Thanks for the website makes interesting reading for me, as my grandparents

[dads side] lived on West Bar. Cheers.

boozybird

Great site my grandfather and gt grandfather lived around West Bar at Copper St, Green Lane and futher out at Langsett Rd. We came over about 1875 as near as I can work out.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

glad you like the site keep logging in as I hope to keep adding to it as more things are uncovered. My grt grandparents settled in west bar from Italy, my grand mother was born & grew up in the area alongside her brothers,sisters,cousins etc. What was your granfathers name ? I am in touch with quite a few descendants from the italian families of west bar.

Julie

Am I right in thinking you are related to Angelo Cerrone ???

My Gt Gt Grandfather was called Angelo his wife was called Pasquale. Have you heard of them?

Dennis

Are you an Anginotti ??

Yes, Louis, younger brother of Judith and Marie.

Good job Boozy.bird

I could imagine Italians intent on getting to America, getting to England heading up the great north road, turning left at Newark, stopping in Sheffield, for a breather, or a bit of work before heading west over the pennines to Liverpool. As with all such migrations some would complete, others would stop on the way.

There was also a later influx of italians in the late 60s, coming to work at the Hallam towers, this group had a big influence on the Italian restaurants over the last 30 years.

The point you make about the immigrants, knowing each other before they came. We saw this again in the 60s when Irish workers came to England for construction jobs, arranging work for other family members, or men from their own village.

We are seeing it again now with Polish workers, bringing over their brothers, cousins or friends.

All adds to lifes rich tapestry.

When does the book come out?

Edited by Tooeg

About 1960 I had a pal who had just started work alongside his father doing Terrazzo and mosaic, his name was Saccommando (spelling) would they have been early immigrants or, as they weren't on your list, later perhaps WW11. I have another name going round in my head but can't think of it.