Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

Looks like the AJS 16mc,rest of the bike would be a bonus:)
Thanks both yes it would be a bonus if i had rest of machine.No idea were thats come from then if it is.Ive only dealt with one AJS cant remember much about it that long since other than it was a big single pair shape tank with fuel gauge etc in tank thats about all i remember of that machine. Edited by terminator

I bet you still watch black and white telly!:hihi:

Bikes were crap then.They seemed good at the time but modern bikes are reliable,handle well,go well and stop when you want them to.And the tyres work when it's wet.And who wouldn't want to wear the best protective clothing that you can afford.

There's nowt wrong with modern bikes, safe, well engineered etc. But the posers who ride them........:hihi::hihi:

Tight leathers and beer bellies don't go together.

Bikes were crap ??? They had to be built to a budget people could afford, to be used as cheap transport.

Goldies, Norton Inter's, Venoms etc CRAP ?????? Next you'll be telling us how crap the Vincents were.

Posers don't ride in the rain anyway, or in winter. They drive the Volvo.

Good modern bikes just used as toys...............;)

There's nowt wrong with modern bikes, safe, well engineered etc. But the posers who ride them........:hihi::hihi:

Tight leathers and beer bellies don't go together.

Bikes were crap ??? They had to be built to a budget people could afford, to be used as cheap transport.

Goldies, Norton Inter's, Venoms etc CRAP ?????? Next you'll be telling us how crap the Vincents were.

Posers don't ride in the rain anyway, or in winter. They drive the Volvo.

Good modern bikes just used as toys...............;)

Goldies were a pain to start,and that very high first gear meant they were not suitable for round town,Inters leaked oil all over the place and had to have sponge wrapped round the rocker boxes,Velos were an old mans bike and wernt very with it and Vinnys were defo for the well off but Wow how the time have changed you now need a second mortgage to buy any of these much sought after bikes these days.

All bikes were good in their day.In 20 years time people will be saying todays bikes were crap.It is each to his own,the fact is whatever we ride we are all motorcyclists and that has to be a good thing.

There's nowt wrong with modern bikes, safe, well engineered etc. But the posers who ride them........

Tight leathers and beer bellies don't go together

Goldies were a pain to start,and that very high first gear meant they were not suitable for round town,Inters leaked oil all over the place and had to have sponge wrapped round the rocker boxes,Velos were an old mans bike and wernt very with it and Vinnys were defo for the well off but Wow how the time have changed you now need a second mortgage to buy any of these much sought after bikes these days.

How very very true for both of theses quotes...Wish i still had the "goldie/triton etc..what investments..." in the garage..it's mainly the "power rangers" with the expensive gear,all colour coded to match the bike including the large warts on the knee's of the leathers..to the fins on the back,...and don't some of those boots look ridiculous,not so much protection as a fashion show..,BUT, each to their own.......just for the record Shane,my present bike is 22 years old with a 1500cc six cylinder engine, that are well documented for 250,000 miles plus...:D:D:D

Edited by euclid

How very very true for both of theses quotes...Wish i still had the "goldie/triton etc..what investments..." in the garage..it's mainly the "power rangers" with the expensive gear,all colour coded to match the bike including the large warts on the knee's of the leathers..to the fins on the back,...and don't some of those boots look ridiculous,not so much protection as a fashion show..,BUT, each to their own.......just for the record Shane,my present bike is 22 years old with a 1500cc six cylinder engine, that are well documented for 250,000 miles plus...:D:D:D
And i have a recycled Sherman tank its called a Harley which is a load of rubbish but its one of the few bikes i get get on these days.I also have a 35 year old BMW which is a dream to ride but it doesnt go out much these days because of the afore mentioned problem.I dont sell the Harley cos that also holds its value,god knows why,the Beemer is far superior.

Slightly of topic, But i'll give it a shot, as other forums have not been too helpful.

Has anyone used this company or have one of these:

http://www.secure-a-bike.com/index.html

Don't have the space for a garage, but this would do.

Handsworth Motorcycles Ltd was my dad's (Graham Crump) shop on Abbeydale Rd. He had a business partner called Norman. There was a mechanic called Reg.

I was only young so don't remember a great deal.

They started out with a small unit at Handsworth, and then later (mid to late 70's) moved into the unit that was formerly Wilf Greens on Abbeydale Rd. Jack Wood had the unit at Handsworth I believe, and then when my dad's firm went out of business in 83, Jack moved into the shop on Abbeydale Rd.

My Dad started out at Dan Bradbury's working his way up to General Manager before they closed the place. That's when he set up Handsworth Motorcycles with Norman, who I think was also at Dan Bradurys.

They used to sell MZ's, Yamaha's and Ducati's from what I remember.

Does anyone remember the place? It would be good to hear any memories.

Hi Crumpy76 - welcome to the Forum! :).It often surprises me how many motorcycle dealers and mechanics started out at Dan Bradbury's or Roper's. I remember Harry Simpson of Leather & Simpson started at Roper's as did his mechanic, Jack. I often wonder what some of these people would think of the sleek machines we see today!

My Dad never really felt affection for the newer stuff although he did quite like BMW's. He always wanted a Scott but never actually had one.

My Dad never really felt affection for the newer stuff although he did quite like BMW's. He always wanted a Scott but never actually had one.
I also liked BMW's - I never rode one but my dad did. He told me that the engine-speed clutch took some getting used to but it was a fine machine. There's an elderly chap on Loxley Road who (I think) still runs his 1940s Scott Squirrel.