History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

I saw The Hollies, the Small Faces, The Beatles all in the 60`s

I saw the "Sensational" Alex Harvey band a couple of times ( top of the bill , not supporting ) , Quo , Faces, Harvey Andrews , Roxy Music , Brian Ferry (solo) , now my dementia has kicked in and my mind has gone blank , thats Rock and Roll .

early 80s remember seeing the jam

Best gig I ever went to was Spyrogyra around 79/80, when they had 'Morning Dance' in the charts. Also saw Camel, Wishbone Ash & Tangerine Dream there but less memorable cos I've seen 'em lots of times at various venues. Camel are probably my favourite band ever!

this has brought back some memories , the first band i saw was Family . Some of the supports were quite memorable

The excellent EGG who supported the Groundhogs , Keth Christmas who allways seem to support Ten Years After, Ashton Gardner and Dyke who got a rough ride as opener for Deep purple .Who can forget Principal Edwards Magic Theatre who opened for Sha Na Na , (i can) Roger Ruskin Spear completely bonkers opened for King Crimson

The Pink Faries and Edgar Broughton were on the same set , Broughton arrived late and was his usual Beligerant self

saw A few bands at the university , Roxy Music , Head hands & feet , Babe Ruth, Uriah Heep

anyone go to the festival at the top of Buxton Moor , freezing in the middle of summer , Wizard , curved air ,Steppenwolf are about all i can remember

Best gig I ever went to was Spyrogyra around 79/80, when they had 'Morning Dance' in the charts. Also saw Camel, Wishbone Ash & Tangerine Dream there but less memorable cos I've seen 'em lots of times at various venues. Camel are probably my favourite band ever!

Which Camel? Weren't there two bands, one fronted by Peter Frampton, the other by Pete Bardon, I saw the latter a couple of times at the City Hall.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 13:22 ----------

Pete Frampton's Camel was an album, not a band. (Wonderful thing Wikipedia)

this has brought back some memories , the first band i saw was Family . Some of the supports were quite memorable

The excellent EGG who supported the Groundhogs , Keth Christmas who allways seem to support Ten Years After, Ashton Gardner and Dyke who got a rough ride as opener for Deep purple .Who can forget Principal Edwards Magic Theatre who opened for Sha Na Na , (i can) Roger Ruskin Spear completely bonkers opened for King Crimson

The Pink Faries and Edgar Broughton were on the same set , Broughton arrived late and was his usual Beligerant self

saw A few bands at the university , Roxy Music , Head hands & feet , Babe Ruth, Uriah Heep

anyone go to the festival at the top of Buxton Moor , freezing in the middle of summer , Wizard , curved air ,Steppenwolf are about all i can remember

I saw Roger Ruskin Spear and His Giant Kinetic Wardrobe in Leeds once at the Futurama festival thing.. yes.. very bonkers.. including the Theremin Leg and the 3 neck 1 string guitar!!!

Richard

Which Camel? Weren't there two bands, one fronted by Peter Frampton, the other by Pete Bardon, I saw the latter a couple of times at the City Hall.

Yep, the latter with the late (and greatly missed) Peter Bardens on keys. I think it was the 'Nude' tour when I saw them at City Hall. Was at the Uni at the time.

Queen

Sabbath

Ash

Heep

Who

best 5 bands I saw at C/Hall

did you see the doors andy

You can't miss them on the way in and out.

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 08:31 ----------

It looks like there's no record of who played the City Hall and when.

That's a book that needs writing. I'll put it on my To Do pile but if anyone else wants to have a go............................

I've not read it but Neil Anderson's book may have a list;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheffield-City-Hall-Neil-Anderson/dp/1908431121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406446058&sr=8-1&keywords=Sheffield+City+Hall

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 08:37 ----------

1979: Elvis Costello/John Cooper Clarke....

Also with Richard Hell and the Voidoids opening. JCC introduced Beasley Street with "where anyone with two ears is a cissy".

Yes was at Buxton 1972. You couldn't possibly find a worse place to stage a festival. A bleak open space on top of the moors exposed to wind and rain through most of the day.

The highlight for me was seeing Wishbone Ash play on the Sunday morning as the sun came up cos they were running about 5 hours late. A magical experience.

On the bill were :

Steppenwolf

Family

Uriah Heep

John Kay Band

Roy Woods Wizard

Curved Air

Vinegar Joe

Wishbone Ash

John Peel was MC

You can find a fair bit of info online if you Google it

Yep, the latter with the late (and greatly missed) Peter Bardens on keys. I think it was the 'Nude' tour when I saw them at City Hall. Was at the Uni at the time.

I think I saw them twice at CH, can remember them playing all of The Snowgoose, concept album, still got a vinyl copy upstairs somewhere.