Sportsman Inn on Redmires Road.

Can anyone give any information on the origins and history of the Sportsman Inn on Redmires Road please?

The land behind was called Redmires camp during World War 1 and it housed the City Batallion.The camp was unused between the two World Wars when it then bacame a P.O.W camp.Not sure when the pub was built.

Can anyone give any information on the origins and history of the Sportsman Inn on Redmires Road please?

Why don't you just go to the pub and ask Jill? She is really friendly and the pub has been in her family (on and off) for a while now. Her dad had it a long time ago. I am sure she would be able to give you some help.

Why don't you just go to the pub and ask Jill? She is really friendly and the pub has been in her family (on and off) for a while now. Her dad had it a long time ago. I am sure she would be able to give you some help.

I do go to the pub on a fairly regular basis for a resident of Heeley and have spoken to Jill often. She is not sure of the origins.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

---------- Post added 19-07-2014 at 13:21 ----------

The land behind was called Redmires camp during World War 1 and it housed the City Batallion.The camp was unused between the two World Wars when it then bacame a P.O.W camp.Not sure when the pub was built.

Thanks for that. I do know far more about the camp that existed in the woods at the back than I do about the pub.

I was once told by an elderly chap walking his dogs in those woods that the pub was originally a farmhouse and that he had been told that as a child but he also said he wasn't at all sure.

I will keep digging.

There was a racecourse up there, must have some connection to that ?

Named as the Sportsman on the 1893 OS map at Old Maps

The 1850's map on the same side is too small scale to be certain but I think the building is already there, but unlabelled. To me it looks like a farmhouse.

Hugh

---------- Post added 19-07-2014 at 19:13 ----------

..and I should say that it marked as a beerhouse in 1893 (as is the Three Merry Lads)

Named as the Sportsman on the 1893 OS map at Old Maps

The 1850's map on the same side is too small scale to be certain but I think the building is already there, but unlabelled. To me it looks like a farmhouse.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh. A farmhouse makes a lot of sense given the location.

Looking for earlier references...

Sheffield Independent

22 Apr 1882

INFRINGEMENTS OF THE LICENSING ACT.--

...Henry Swift, landlord of the Sportsman Inn, Redmires

road, was charged with having sold intoxicating liquor,

and with having kept his house open during prohibited

hours, on the night of the 8th inst. -- A fine of £2 and

the costs was imposed.

Ye gods! How many other properties were there at that time and what were the police doing in so remote a place after hours?

The mind boggles.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph

18 Sep 1869

[applications for new or renewed licenses]

SHEFFIELD BREWSTER SESSIONS

Thomas Greaves, Sportsman Inn, Redmires-road.

A conviction was proved against him.--Granted

(The Independent says "Had been once fined,-- Granted with a caution")

-----------------------------

On 6 Oct 1867 10 man broke windows of the Sportsman's Inn having been refused drink. They were convicted and fined. (Thomas Greaves, landlord)

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 18 Sep 1869 ... Thomas Greaves, Sportsman Inn, Redmires-road....
1871 census return: "Thomas Greaves, age 28, farmer of 14 acres and beerhouse keeper" at Lodge Moor.