Stattis fair rotherham

Doe's anyone remdmber the stattis fair held in rotherham, i think around october/november. As a small boy in the50's/early 60's i remember being taken here, i think it was located on the road to millmoor football ground from the town centre on a large plot of waste ground. Side stalls, rides and even a helter skelter then a toffee apple to eat on the bus home to sheffield.

Doe's anyone remdmber the stattis fair held in rotherham, i think around october/november. As a small boy in the50's/early 60's i remember being taken here, i think it was located on the road to millmoor football ground from the town centre on a large plot of waste ground. Side stalls, rides and even a helter skelter then a toffee apple to eat on the bus home to sheffield.

I remember it very well, usually just ahead of the railway station coming from the town centre, as you say, on the way to Millmoor. being brought up in Catcliffe and later Brinsworth it was something us kids looked forward to every Autumn

Real memories of going to this fair.Looking at it from a kids point of view it was huge.The Police station now covers the area (which was a car park)

Wasn't it called the Statues Fair. Remember going there a few times. Very big fair, bigger I think than anything Sheffield had and very busy.

Wasn't it called the Statues Fair. Remember going there a few times. Very big fair, bigger I think than anything Sheffield had and very busy.

I remember it as Stattiss, but no idea what it meant, never saw it written anywhere, it is just what people called it, I believe it was the biggest in South Yorkshire and north midlands except for Nottingham Goose Fair The Nottingham one was not just rides etc., it was also exhibitions and such, I always remember my grandmother telling me she saw Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show there, with Annie Oakley and Chief Sitting Bull and of course William F. Cody himself. She was from nearby Ilkeston and was 10 years old, early 1900's.

I remember it as Stattiss, but no idea what it meant, never saw it written anywhere, it is just what people called it, I believe it was the biggest in South Yorkshire and north midlands except for Nottingham Goose Fair The Nottingham one was not just rides etc., it was also exhibitions and such, I always remember my grandmother telling me she saw Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show there, with Annie Oakley and Chief Sitting Bull and of course William F. Cody himself. She was from nearby Ilkeston and was 10 years old, early 1900's.

I have heard it called Stattis, but it's correct name (and the name I've always used) was Statutes - because it was allowed by Statute. Very old fair dating back around 800, years I believe - last held in the late 70's Very large, as you point out, exceeded only by the Goose Fair, which I also remember going to.

I remember it very well, usually just ahead of the railway station coming from the town centre, as you say, on the way to Millmoor. being brought up in Catcliffe and later Brinsworth it was something us kids looked forward to every Autumn

I remember it too, also living in Catcliffe (after moving from Treeton) in the early 60's. I can also remember the fair at Catcliffe.

I remember it too, also living in Catcliffe (after moving from Treeton) in the early 60's. I can also remember the fair at Catcliffe.

The fair at Catcliffe was on top of a hill , wasn't it. We have talked on the other thread, remember? The thread was about the floods and we happened to both have lived on South View Terrace, but at different time periods.:)

The fair at Catcliffe was on top of a hill , wasn't it. We have talked on the other thread, remember? The thread was about the floods and we happened to both have lived on South View Terrace, but at different time periods.:)

I remember Tony. The fair was up the banking at the top of Frederick Street. I can remember the Gilbanks family, with around 15 kids. The dad would ride on the Walzer ana all the kids stood round and cheered him. Happy days.

I remember Tony. The fair was up the banking at the top of Frederick Street. I can remember the Gilbanks family, with around 15 kids. The dad would ride on the Walzer ana all the kids stood round and cheered him. Happy days.

Wasn't it the Gilbanks who had 2 semis knocked into one because of the size of the family, on the corner of Sheffield Lane and Orgreave Road, and then had to move them again when those houses were condemned after too much flood damage. Don't remember where too. There were a lot of large families in Catcliffe in those days, one almost next door to you on the square, the Hatfields, remember them?

Wasn't it the Gilbanks who had 2 semis knocked into one because of the size of the family, on the corner of Sheffield Lane and Orgreave Road, and then had to move them again when those houses were condemned after too much flood damage. Don't remember where too. There were a lot of large families in Catcliffe in those days, one almost next door to you on the square, the Hatfields, remember them?

That's right, the houses were empty for years and after the Rother was straightened a bit and flood banks built, they were knocked into one. I can remember two of the lads taking turns to go to school, because they only had one pair of shoes between them! Having said that, they were a genuine, happy family. Come what may, they always had a smile on their faces...... and candles on their top lips.

there were several other large families, but not on this scale.

My father lived at Canklow and told me he remembers a lion in a sidecar going round and round a circular vertical wall, held there by centrifugal force. This was before the War so I doubt anyone would remember that. He called it the Stattis fair.

I remember the train sidings and the coke plant, all long gone. My grandfather worked at the plant . We used to walk up to Whitehill where my other grandparents lived, no cars in those days.