The Old London & Scandinavian Metalurgical Co. Works in Heeley

I am doing the family history and found that my father once worked at a company called the London & Scandinavian Company in Heeley. I think they cast Pig Iron as I remember going there once and seeing the hot metal running into the moulds.

Can anyone tell me the name of the street where the works was situated. I think it was on one of ther roads running off the junction of Chesterfield Road and Heeley Bottom.

Thankyou for any background info on the place and the street name, any help is appreciated.

Popt Happy days!

there is a London& Scandinavian Metalurgical company at Fullerton road Rotherham this could be part of the company you are looking for they do alloys

In 1969 London & Scandinavian Metallurgical Co Ltd. Metal refiners, only showed a single address in Sheffield, in Kelly's Directory and that was Offices in the Norwich Union Building 22 High Street right in the centre of town.

Unless they had a rented or shared premises in Heeley, then it suggests it was another era.

Could it have been Little London Road, it runs from Chesterfield Road at Heeley bottom to Athol Road ( nr. Smithywood bottom of Woodseats).

Little London Road was an industrial area with companies like Tyzack Sons & Turner, Laycock Engineering and Hardy Pick that I know of.

Could it have been Little London Road, it runs from Chesterfield Road at Heeley bottom to Athol Road ( nr. Smithywood bottom of Woodseats).

Little London Road was an industrial area with companies like Tyzack Sons & Turner, Laycock Engineering and Hardy Pick that I know of.

Little London Works .. http://www.tilthammer.com/bio/tyzac.html

I worked at LSM in Rotherham 1966-1982,and I can confirm that some of the older people I worked with talked about a factory on Chippinghouse Road.

Contact the Fullerton Road site,they are a friendly firm who are proud of their history,I'm sure they can tell you a lot.

My late husband worked for LSM for 40ty years, he started at Chippinghouse Rd after he came out of the navy, he then moved to Fullerton Rd , they also had a place at Glossop, as PCInfield says they are quite friendly and proud of their history. He helped to make the place what it is today.

Thankyou everyone, the place my father worked was on Chippinghouse Road, Heeley

Happy Days! PopT

I worked at LSM in Rotherham 1966-1982,and I can confirm that some of the older people I worked with talked about a factory on Chippinghouse Road.

Contact the Fullerton Road site,they are a friendly firm who are proud of their history,I'm sure they can tell you a lot.

My dad worked at LSM at Fullerton Road . He died in 1976 due to an industrial linked disease.

Hi Bladebeer

I was sorry to hear about your father. My father's health deteriorated whilst he worked at LSM on Chippingham Street. He had been gassed in the WW1 and had always suffered with his lungs. The hot metal running in the floor channels sent off really bad fumes and it was this that made his condition worse. He had to leave after the doctor told him he wouldn't last another 6 months.

He took the advice and took a job as a Brickies Mate working for the Gas Company. He travelled quite a bit refurbishing properties in their properties in the rural areas. His health picked up but never cured as the Germans had done a thorough job with their gas shells.

Happy Day? PopT

Just learned that an old schoolboy chum of mine who used to work for the LSM has died. He was David Lowe.

He would have started with the company around 1963/4ish but I don't know hoiw long he was there.

I haven't seen or heard from him since but often thought about how he was and what hge was up to.

Does anyone remember him?