When did the 2p child's bus fare stop??

When did the free rides for Seniors (OAP's) cease, or are there other price deals for them(us)?

Don't put ideas into their heads Tony, we are only just clinging on with our finger nails as it is......:suspect:

it was after 85, cos thats when i left school and erm was still getting on for 2p :P

longest route for adults was woodhouse to crookes at 15p if i remember right?

it was after 85, cos thats when i left school and erm was still getting on for 2p :P

There was a lot of long (cross town) routes, not sure of longest but some were: Wincobank-Bents Green (No4), Southey Green- Nether Edge (97), Grimesthorpe-Graves Park (34-35), Middlewood-Eccleshall, Intake-Walkley (95), Tinsley-Millhouses, Sheffield Lane Top- Lowedges (33) etc.

That would be number 52, if I remember rightly. Wasn't it officially Ballifield to Crookes and vice versa.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 20:18 ----------

Don't put ideas into their heads Tony, we are only just clinging on with our finger nails as it is......:suspect:

Sorry, LOL:D

Edited by TORONTONY

That would be number 52, if I remember rightly. Wasn't it officially Ballifield to Crookes and vice versa.

Some of the buses turned round at Ballifield (at the Everest) but most went on to Woodhouse.

By the mid-1980s the longest cross-city route (in terms of end to end time) was the 17, which started at Hillsborough and wandered around much of north Sheffield before reaching Attercliffe and then heading through the city and down Abbeydale Road to Totley Brook.

I would think that the end to end fare in 1985 was 15p, which seems to have been the maximum fare within the city.

By the mid-1980s the longest cross-city route (in terms of end to end time) was the 17, which started at Hillsborough and wandered around much of north Sheffield before reaching Attercliffe and then heading through the city and down Abbeydale Road to Totley Brook.

I would think that the end to end fare in 1985 was 15p, which seems to have been the maximum fare within the city.

I seem to remember around that time paying an adult fare of 20p (perhaps) on a bus going to Eckington. 20p got me as far as Mosborough after that it was over the city boundary and into Derbyshire and a big fare hike for only two more stops.

Some of the buses turned round at Ballifield (at the Everest) but most went on to Woodhouse.

yeah woodhus junction, where i used to catch it.

you could as a kid, hide on the back of the top deck and stay on while it turned to do the route back to town and through to crookes and save yer 2p ;)

lol

I seem to remember around that time paying an adult fare of 20p (perhaps) on a bus going to Eckington. 20p got me as far as Mosborough after that it was over the city boundary and into Derbyshire and a big fare hike for only two more stops.

You are probably right. I was thinking only of what the timetables called "Sheffield City Services" & had forgotten about Mosborough and other outlying parts.

I do remember a bus ride from Sheffield to Doncaster being 25p in 1983. A ridiculously low fare compared to what I was used to paying for similar journeys in the Greater Manchester area at the time.

You are probably right. I was thinking only of what the timetables called "Sheffield City Services" & had forgotten about Mosborough and other outlying parts.

I do remember a bus ride from Sheffield to Doncaster being 25p in 1983. A ridiculously low fare compared to what I was used to paying for similar journeys in the Greater Manchester area at the time.

Slightly diverse of me but I used to get a bus -1965-66ish from outside Piccadilly Station, Manchester (London Road?) to Stockport (Mersey Square) for a shilling-12d then 5p now-goodness!