Hurlfield/Grange grammar school for girls

Hi - It would be good to contact any school friends who were at Hurlfield Grammar School from 1949-54. I was in the G Form. Miss Reid was headmistress at that time and Miss Rogers taught music. I now live in Wiltshire.

-------------------------------------------

Hi Wendy, slightly different era for me. You might also post on friendsreunited.com there is a page for grange grammar, see if

there is one for Hurlfield, I don't know if there is or not.

Susan.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 21:23 ----------

-------------------------------------------

Hi Wendy, slightly different era for me. You might also post on friendsreunited.com there is a page for grange grammar, see if

there is one for Hurlfield, I don't know if there is or not.

PS an old family friend called Marilyn Middleton went to Hurlfield,

I inherited some of her old uniform, huge shorts like bloomers,

an old science lab coat & something else. All my friends used to

laugh at me.

Susan.

The merger of all 3 schools took place in September 1969. Those boys at ABGS who were just starting their O level courses (4th formers in old money) were kept in the lower school for 2 years.

Did the girls of Grange and Girls Grammar merge in 1969 or did they stay in their respective school buildings until starting A levels in September 1971?

Wow just

Discovered this web site after being told about it by Helen Acroyd. We were at Grange from 1959 to 1966 ab

Nod had been wondering what the name of the new botany teacher was , she joined in1964 and got married soon after. She was great friends with Mrs Henderson the biology teacher. So great to read of all the names of the old brigade miss Longmuir, Mrs Francis ,Mrs Perry miss Williams(I think my mum kept the copy of the speech day recording I will go through her things.

Helen and I were I the hockey team with Jean wilkinson,Brenda Knowles Elizabeth Barrett Hazel ....

I my class there was Margaret Humpheries , Jean Musgrove how the memories of those great days are jogged, Sstephanie Ashe and .'?pauline McBride were the clever girls in our year

Happy days

I was at Grange Grammar about 1961 -3 and was in alpha (a) Probably meant we were of lowest intelligence. I would have loved to be in (g) classes as languages was always my strongest subject. I used to love french with, I think, Miss Vernon.

Does anyone recall what others there were besides a and g?

---------- Post added 22-08-2015 at 18:54 ----------

I have a photo of Miss Vernon's class 1958 intake at Grange, but I wouldn't know how to put it on here.

I am instantly recognisable as the only one not in uniform (because we moved away 6 weeks later)

Edited by Minimo

Claire Naish, I think the science teacher you mention may be Miss Wright, who became Mrs Lee. She was lovely and I went to tea at her house in Manchester after she had left and had a baby. Lucy Wyatt accompanied me, arranged after a trip to watch Sheff United play Man United. You could just turn up to Old Trafford in those days and buy a ticket!

I was at Grange from 1962 -69 and have kept in touch with a few friends - 6 of us met up for lunch at Chatsworth earlier this month.

Brilliant well done,isn't the memory a strange thing.thank you

did anyone attend grange grammar school in the 60's

I went there from 1961 until 1966. I started out in 1alpha form because you were placed in one of the 3 forms (g, a or alpha) according to your surname so I was in the "P" to the end of the alphabet. The end of the year exams decided which form you were placed in and as I didn't do very well in them I went into the alpha form and stayed in that for each year until I left. I remember lots of girls from those years and am still in contact with some of them. As 2016 is the 50th anniversary of leaving I wondered if anyone knew whether a reunion was being planned.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 20:11 ----------

Hi,

This is Elaine Lingard (formerly Archer). I went to Grange from 1961-1967. I remember Miss Williams (music) and her infectious enthusiasm. She influenced my lifelong love of singing. Mrs Whitby was my favorite teacher (history) in part, I think, because she was so motherly. I remember Mrs. Roberts (PE), Mrs. Greenwood (PE), Mrs Vernon (needlework) and Miss Secker (domestic science). I never quite got used to her sarcasm! I left a year or two before the Abbeydale-Grange merge. I also remember that steep slope to the tennis courts and sliding down it on a metal tray, which was strongly forbidden because someone collided with a tree once and was badly injured. We kept on doing it anyway!

I loved the romanticism of those old houses and grounds. Its so sad to know that they are gone now. I live in California now and don't get back to Sheffield very often.

I believe we were in the same year, I remember you wearing spectacles and I think you lived at Handsworth

I have found a large formal B/W photograph of the whole school taken in 1959 photographed in front of The Grange when I was in the first year. It includes Miss Rawlings with all the teaching staff and pupils including Sixth Formers. I intend to put this photograph on Picture Sheffield for everyone to enjoy.

------------------------------

We had one taken in 1961. Did you put the photo on that website? it wasn't there last time I looked. What was your name ?

sheffsueme

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 22:45 ----------

Brilliant well done,isn't the memory a strange thing.thank you

-------------------------------

I remember you Clare Nash, I wasn't a friend, & I was in a different year.

I think you were blonde & sporty, am I right ?

I was at Grange 1960 to 65. Our class had a 50th anniversary party of our starting school in 1960, it was organised by Barbara Thornton & Judith Edmondson. I wasn't there, I live in the USA.

Sue.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Does anyone know if there are any photos of the school online?

I have googled and tried Picturesheffield.com, but no luck.

---------------------------

2016, yes there are some photos on that site now, no class photos

last time I looked, but a couple of the Grange & a few of Holt House over

the years, both since demolished. Expensive houses on the grounds now,

so I've been told.

Sue

1960 to 1965

-----------------------------------

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 23:09 ----------

I was in class 4Alpha 1958-62. Remember Pat Rymell, Linda Beecroft, Glenys Bell, Barbara Rippon, Jennifer Holland ,Jaqueline Perkins and many more. One of our teachers Miss Truswell ( History) really got some harsh treatment from us. She must only have been about 30 . Anyone remember a beautiful girl in our class who sadly died in about 1963. Her name was Elizabeth Malloy. I remember Mrs Roberts our form teacher coming in during our music class to tell us. Everyone was stunned and we were allowed out to walk around the grounds. I still think of her and can still see her face after all these years.

---------------------------------------

Normie, if you're Norma I think I remember you a little & Pat Rymell & Jackie Perkins, possibly a few of the rebels if I am thinking of the right girls ? :)

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 23:15 ----------

It would be nice if one of you would admin Facebook pages for Grange Grammar School for Girls, sorry I don't have time. Otherwise you could set up a Yahoo Group.

A few of the girls from our year sadly passed away, including Lynne Radford. Lynne & I met up in Houston many years ago, she was living in Galveston for a short while. Lynne went into nursing after leaving school.

Sue.

I've just found this thread and it's brought back so many memories. I went to Grange 1958 to 1963 known as Christine Hancock in those days. I remember some good friends there still; Susan Bell, Louise Wilson, Pat Brown, Anna Greetham. Anyone know what happened to them? I got into music thanks to the wonderful Miss Williams and I still play a violin in a local orchestra! Some lovely teachers along with Miss Williams - Mrs Whitby especially. And some horrors - I have never forgotten Miss Longmuir's control techniques (not that she needed them, weren't we so well behaved?) but she did end up in North Yorkshire with Miss Ruff. Anyone remember Mrs Gathercole? She taught R E, and I remember her coming up behind my desk, grabbing my long hair and pulling my head backwards - she didn't believe I'd written my essay myself! (I had). I also remember the performance over homework and how much there was of it. All those homework monitors, and taking the piles of opened exercise books along to the bench outside the staff room for the teachers to pick up.

Be great to hear from anyone who remembers those years and friends.

I went to grange in 1965, I loved the old houses. Friends I remember are Ann Bateman , Laura Corrigan/Carrigan, Gillian Hodgeson, Susan Bell.anybody around from that era

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 18:25 ----------

I was there in mid sixties, I remember miss riddell Mrs Bonetti, mr Gethin,miss Glister and best of all miss Williams

Just picked up on this thread. I went to grange in 1966 after 11 plus exam! Can remember some of teachers mentioned but my favourite was Miss Williams. I always enjoyed the Christmas carols outside the Cathedral at lunchtime. Must have been a nightmare organising all those kids and instruments onto the buses for probably less than an hours concert. Some of the names I remember are Gillian Emmerson, Diana Robson (we're still in touch) Catherine Wikner, Andrea Green, Laura Carrigan (with lovely auburn hair). I'm sure I've got a class photo somewhere - might jog a few more names if I can find it.