Privet - best way to take cuttings

Hi

I have about 40 meters around my allotment which have no border and I have to have a natural hedge - part of it is privet. Is it easy to take a cutting from what I have and plant the rest of the border up. The privet I have was about 20ft high until we attacked it with a chainsaw !!

I was going to cut some new shoots and put them in some water to see if roots spouted !? is that how its done ?

In my first post I did warn of stupid questions - I have no idea what I am doing so please explain what I need to do and don't assume I know any gardening techniques

Hi There, many cuttings can be started in this way, I have struck Box cuttings in water, so there shouldn't be any reason why privet wouldn't work, plus, it costs nothing to try.

They are really easy to root in compost too.

take a longer cutting, and remove lower leaves, as they'd just rot.

When they have a good root growth, pot them up, and grow them on for a while, if they're large enough come the autumn, I would suggest you plant them about 15inches apart, perhaps staggered like -_-_-_ to make a thicker hedge (with 15 inches beween rows too).

Also, when you cut your hedges, if you make the top narrower than the bottom, it should prevent it becoming bare at the feet (because it'll not be shaded)

Thanks Hayley, I will give it a go.

Lisa

Another benefit from having your hedge narrower at the top is that it holds less snow in bad winters & is less prone to damage & distortion :thumbsup:

Privet will grow roots from any section that touches the ground so you could separate these sections from the main stem and you have a new privet plant - if you can find a neglected privet hedge there will almost certainly be bits that have been forced to the ground and have sprouted roots. I've just rejuvinated an existing privet and got lots of new plants this way.

If you can get hold of lots of cheap hawthorn then I think they make much more attractive hedges - the birds like them more too (apart from those ruffian sparrows)