New Sainsburys in Bradway?

a couple of people have mentioned to me that Sainburys are looking at building yet another supermarket (ok I am showing my prejudice already) this time in Bradway

anyone know if its true?

and any chance we can stop them? Bradway is one of the shrinking number of Sheffield suburbs that still has nice corner shops and we do out best to support that

its stuff like this that make me think (not that I have any money to buy shares you understand):

http://www.moneyweek.com/investment-advice/how-to-invest/strategies/dont-buy-supermarket-stocks-until-they-stop-building-new-stores-22400

Edited by Skink
add article

I'm surprised the Bradway Hotel hasn't been re opened as a Premier Convenience Store, that seems to be the way derelict pubs go these days?

that was the site mentioned, apparently some surveyors were there taking soil samples down to 5m

Not a very big site though is it. Would have to be a Sainsbury Local? Shame as the Bradway Hotel use to be a good pub 20 years ago.

Ello there. I'm Tom Makinson, owner of Makinsons fruit and flowers at the top of twentywell lane. As you can imagine, next to the weather, the rumours of what is happening to the Bradway Hotel (and the bank next to my shop) are rife.

I have learned to ignore such rumours until I have some solid proof as I have found myself getting caught up in it all and worrying unnecessarily. As you can imagine. The prospect of a Sainsbury's opening up and closing down my block of shops is a terrifying one. Especially after we have been successfully trading for over 30 years.

To the OP. I couldn't help but notice your username "Skink". Do you keep reptiles? I only know 1 other person in the Bradway area that does. I keep quite a few (only lizards) and I believe I am the largest breeder of Tokay Geckos in Europe at the moment. My website is http://www.TokayGecko.co.uk if you're at all interested!

Fingers crossed for Bradway though. The only information I have is from someone who talked to the guys who were drilling. They said the depth they were going to was indicative of something residential or maybe a hotel of some sort. Other than that I got nothing!

i heard that they could be after the old kirkhill site opposite middle shops at lowedges,its a pity about the bradway pub as it was quite nice

Ello there. I'm Tom Makinson, owner of Makinsons fruit and flowers at the top of twentywell lane. As you can imagine, next to the weather, the rumours of what is happening to the Bradway Hotel (and the bank next to my shop) are rife.

I don't think you need to worry - look at Crookes where the fruit and veg shop there still survives opposite a Co-Op and Sainsburys.

If anything would shut down it would be the Spar - a lot of this is down to the Spar as a company - very expensive and poor image. Staff are notorious for smoking outside in full uniform, something you would never see with a Tesco or Sainsburys.

I have learned to ignore such rumours until I have some solid proof as I have found myself getting caught up in it all and worrying unnecessarily. As you can imagine. The prospect of a Sainsbury's opening up and closing down my block of shops is a terrifying one. Especially after we have been successfully trading for over 30 years.

To the OP. I couldn't help but notice your username "Skink". Do you keep reptiles? I only know 1 other person in the Bradway area that does. I keep quite a few (only lizards) and I believe I am the largest breeder of Tokay Geckos in Europe at the moment. My website is http://www.TokayGecko.co.uk if you're at all interested!

Fingers crossed for Bradway though. The only information I have is from someone who talked to the guys who were drilling. They said the depth they were going to was indicative of something residential or maybe a hotel of some sort. Other than that I got nothing!

you`ll be fine, you have a different market, glad your feeling better but don`t do the refit (wink - I`m still banned from ukbf)

Edited by gym_rat

I don't think you need to worry - look at Crookes where the fruit and veg shop there still survives opposite a Co-Op and Sainsburys.

If anything would shut down it would be the Spar - a lot of this is down to the Spar as a company - very expensive and poor image. Staff are notorious for smoking outside in full uniform, something you would never see with a Tesco or Sainsburys.

I spoke to Nigel (owner of Just Natural) about this as I remember when they were opening he was starting to panic just like me. He said not to worry about it.

I am slightly worried about the Spar shutting down though. I don't shop there anymore for personal reasons however the post office is a big draw to the area. We lost a fair bit of trade when the bank closed. A lot more than expected anyway. Maybe I was too arrogant to think it wouldn't affect us haha.

I agree with the whole smoking outside the doors thing. The "old" manager is back now so I have a feeling she will put a stop to it. I think the shop in general should improve actually.

well today we got a letter from Sainsburys saying they are applying for planing permission to build a convenience store on the Bradway pub site. The letter says they will be creating 20 jobs so that sounds like a mid sized store (maybe?)

we will object to try and protect the local shops, but don't hold out much hope. I guess if we only loose a Spar then that might be ok so long as the row of shops (and Post Office) survives

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 11:26 ----------

oh, hi Tom. Sorry no interest in exotic pets, the avatar is something I picked up years ago and kind of like it

On the flip side it will be good for those who have to get a bus to supermarket as the spar on twentywell lane is a rip off because they know there is no competion!, i hope fruit and veg shop stays as their fresh oj is fantastic!!