Rock'n'Roll at the Broughton Inn.

does anyone remember the rock n roll club at the broughton inn at attercliffe ? they pulled it down to make way for the arena i think way back . i used to be one of the rock n roll retros that went there ...fun friday nights ...god about 20 years ago .:)

Originally posted by linda

does anyone remember the rock n roll club at the broughton inn at attercliffe ? they pulled it down to make way for the arena i think way back . i used to be one of the rock n roll retros that went there ...fun friday nights ...god about 20 years ago .:)

Do you know the history of Broughton,,,,,,its said that a man called Broughton was found guilty stealing the mail yonks ago he was from Ecclesfield and he was put in chains and hung drawn and quarterd on the spot that is now Broughton Lane,,,,,not ver Rock and Roll but interesting all the same

used to go in early eighties always drunk though so cant remember interior

In the sixties I was in a band Called "Bob Andrews and The Questors" and we used to play at The Broughton regulary I remember some great nights there. You'll probably Know Bob Andrews nowadays as Bobby Knut.

The Broughton Inn was on the corner of Broughton Lane and Attercliffe Common Broughton lane was named after a highwayman called Spencer Broughton who held up mail coaches on attercliffe He was caught and hung at York

His body was gibbeted on clifton street in the backyard of a pub ( the brown bear I think) anyway the beer in the broughton as rubbish.

Originally posted by sharkw

The Broughton Inn was on the corner of Broughton Lane and Attercliffe Common Broughton lane was named after a highwayman called Spencer Broughton who held up mail coaches on attercliffe He was caught and hung at York

His body was gibbeted on clifton street in the backyard of a pub ( the brown bear I think) anyway the beer in the broughton as rubbish.

His name was Spence Broughton and his accomplice was John Oxley, who was never caught.

The 'Mail Coach' was in fact a pony and cart driven by a postboy carrying the mails to Rotherham, and the postboy was not harmed.

Broughton was tried and hung in York and his body brought back to Attercliffe to be hung in chains from a gibbet at the scene of the crime.

The site of the gibbet is not known exactly, there were no 'streets' in that part of Attercliffe in 1792 and the nearest pub was an inn called the 'Arrow', but it is commonly supposed to be somewhere near the corner of Broughton Lane and Attercliffe common.

According to R E Leader the base of the gibbet ws discovered in 1867 by somone digging out the cellars of a new property 'opposite the Yellow Lion public house' - something I'll have to look up some time :)

linda,

I new that pub was famous for something....finally managed to put my finger on it.

According to Michael Liversidge in his book "Attercliffe - A Wander Up The Cliffe" -

"The Broughton Inn at 343 Attercliffe Common was a Duncan Gilmour public house and was made up of a large concert room and a much smaller offshot room. Gerry Dorsey, better known as Englebert Humperdink, served his showbusiness apprenticeship here, charging only about a fiver a night, long before Las Vegas, and a much large appearance fee, ever beckoned. "

:D

Had SKINHEADS NIGHTS in the early seventies where you could get served underage BIG CHARLIE was the Bouncer

I remember BIG Charlie at the 'Broughton' I could tell you a few stories about him as well. He is only a shadow of his former self ( he was once in the running for ' slimmer of the Year' was Charlie. I didn't go in much coz the beer was absolute garbage. I went further up the road to the ' Enfield' and the 'Railway' ( Noose and Gibbet ) nowdays

Does anyone remember the rock n roll nights in the broughton inn attercliffe early 80's ...... any memories????

i remember once going with a mate of mine who was a teddy boy and i was a skinhead no trouble thou .i think that would have been about 1981-2

I once got roger the dj to put the meteors on...i started to dance wi mi mate then suddenly got surrounded by a few teddy boys holding bottles... Luckerly the landlord kept them at bay with his baseball bat!!!