Anyone work for the old coal merchants

My father use to work for Herbert Jackson on Otley Street in the early 60's

Whatmores use to have a garage for the wagons in Arthur street just off Addy street inthe 50's

I worked for Goodison's on wood St in 1963, I think that was the old Kelvin area, it was hard work, but that was when we didn't have to go to the gym to keep fit, and the money was ok

worked for vinny potts prospect road at heeley around 1976_77

When my Husband was young he worked for King Coal in Darnall. Was owned by Mr. Stamp. They also used to be a coal merchant who came on Attercliffe and he had a horse and cart and knew everyone.

yes but not in Sheffield did subcontract which means all the garbage their own drivers wouldn't take ,like driving across town and up three flight of stairs with three bags for some poor old lady,we got paid by the truck had to fill all our own bags. so in the end got very little pay at the end of the week

I started my working life at Burnett and Hallamshire Fuels in their portakab offices in Nunnery sidings (off Bernard Road), now built over with the police station. Their head office was on Psalter Lane.

I started my working life at Burnett and Hallamshire Fuels in their portakab offices in Nunnery sidings (off Bernard Road), now built over with the police station. Their head office was on Psalter Lane.

I used to work on the coal for my dad's coal merchants -Walter Rawson. He worked out of Upwell Street Wharf and then Attercliffe Goods yard. I can remember buying smokeless fuel from Burnett & Hallamshire's Nunnery depot on Bernard Road.

I used to love it when we loaded at B&H, at least we didn't have to shovel, it was bag under the hopper, weigh it and stack it, a lot different from the wadsley Bridge sidings where we used to shovel it out of a railway car.

I remember a few blokes used to hang around the sidings to help shovel the load for a few bob cash in hand and a paid breakfast, can't understand why they were out of work, because there were plenty of jobs around in those days, [1960].

Anthracite and Phurnacite were a couple of smokeless fuels that I can remember, the best household coal came in to the sidings direct from the Silkstone Common pit.

coal merchants in catcliffe were Mussums at the Bottom of Railway Avenue and phillip Downsby's at the bottom of brinsworth road , does anyone remember them?

Anthracite and Phurnacite were a couple of smokeless fuels that I can remember, the best household coal came in to the sidings direct from the Silkstone Common pit.

Anthracite was a top quality hard coal and does not give off the gases & smoke cheaper coal does the best thing about the processed smokeless fuel such as cleanglow? was the weight instead of a hundredweight 8 stones, it was half the weight much easier carrying up two flights of stairs and lifting over the shoulder into the storage cupboard.

It was much easier when people had it put in their bath can you believe it.