Thornebridge Grammar School

Hi, new on this site though we've read it a lot. Is there anyone out there from Thornebridge between 1963/69? We live in Ontario and can't join reunions.

used to Jacqui Andrews

Thornbridge comp when I went but that was 1982-1986. It's Birley Community College now, you may have better luck on friends re-united.

Welcome to the Forum, jacqui.

Have a look in the section on here called "history and expats", I know that there's definitely a thread about Thornbridge School on there, though I don't think it is as specific as soleley the years you were there, I think it's more general.

Hi, new on this site though we've read it a lot. Is there anyone out there from Thornebridge between 1963/69? We live in Ontario and can't join reunions.

used to Jacqui Andrews

Oh no!!!this forum will never be the same.:gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::rolleyes:

Oh!!!, if only you knew .I understand Canadians don't have a sense of humour I suppose

it's something to do with the mundane lives the live.

used to Jacqui Andrews

Hi limeybeans, new on the site too, just working our way through the 167 pages of posts and its taking us weeks. Just thought I had to reply to your post even though its nearly 2 years old. I was somewhat taken aback (you can tell I went to Thornbridge Grammar) at the response - or lack of - that you received. Who are these Phillistines? Just because you live in Canada and we live in Auz, we deserve better treatment, don't you think? (They are probably all Birley School thugs :hihi:) I enjoyed my time at Thornbridge - '61 to '66 and have many fond memories. I'll wait to see if you're still on the forum after the battering you took . . .

Hi, Downsunder, nice to receive a civil reply. My mundane life is so busy with sailing our 33ft boat around the Great Lakes and spending time with family and friends. When your life is so miserable it's hard not to sound bitter,don't yer think? lol

Had a pal called Linda went South around 1966/67:: Expect she married and all the rest by now.

used to Jacqui Andrews

Eamon Andrews did brilliant renunions.

Are you related?

My wife left Thornbridge in 1977.

Hi, sorry no,he was Irish and i'm researching our Scottish roots.I think your wife was there after my time.

Does anyone remember Dr Haslam,or Mr Almond[he threw erasers at the boys]

Mr Snook and Mr Mcmahon,glided along the corridors wearing the black gowns looking like huge bats!! To me anyway, i was only 5ft tall.

Hi, sorry no,he was Irish and i'm researching our Scottish roots.I think your wife was there after my time.

Does anyone remember Dr Haslam,or Mr Almond[he threw erasers at the boys]

Mr Snook and Mr Mcmahon,glided along the corridors wearing the black gowns looking like huge bats!! To me anyway, i was only 5ft tall.

Who could forget Doc Haslam, I once saw him reduce a first year student to tears with a thundering stare and a few well chosen threats. He commanded respect and, like most of the teachers, he was fair, unbiased and totally professional. Mr Snook who wrote the school Latin textbook, was the understudy for Darth Vader, most memorable for his grand entry to the morning assembly in his black flowing gown. You're right limeybeans, he was huge. Mr Gould was another gentle giant, he once scruffed me by the tie and lifted me clean off my feet in front of the entire class but that kind of thing was accepted in those days. Generally, we got what we deserved and the teachers were respected. Sadly, things are no longer the same.