Your memoires of the Elm Tree pub and Arbrouthorne Hotel

Recently both pubs have been demolished a sad reflection of the decline of the pub trade nationwide. Both the Elm Tree and the Arbrouthorne were Tudor style pubs and I'm guessing were originally Stones brewery pubs as the style was their house design in the 1920s/30s . I went in the Arbrouthorne a few years back its was OK a open plan bar design, I never went in the Elm Tree sadly, Iv been told it had quite a few rooms though while photoing the demolition gave a glimpse of the inside. What do you remember of these pubs any notable bands or notable landlords for example?

Recently both pubs have been demolished a sad reflection of the decline of the pub trade nationwide. Both the Elm Tree and the Arbrouthorne were Tudor style pubs and I'm guessing were originally Stones brewery pubs as the style was their house design in the 1920s/30s . I went in the Arbrouthorne a few years back its was OK a open plan bar design, I never went in the Elm Tree sadly, Iv been told it had quite a few rooms though while photoing the demolition gave a glimpse of the inside. What do you remember of these pubs any notable bands or notable landlords for example?

Joe Cocker was a regular in the 60s at the weekly talent nights, I was landlord there in the early 80s, I was the first manager to take it after it being a tenancy, they completely refurbished it soon after I took it,

My friends and I visited the Arbourthorne Hotel every Tuesday night back in the 60s,there were always decent groups on!.Joe Cocker,The Black Abbots and I seem to recollect The Fortunes one time as well as up and coming local groups!.Most pubs in Sheffield in those days had live bands as well as the working mens clubs,so every night of the week you were spoilt for choice!.It was supposed to be a rough pub but we never had any bother we were out for a good time not trouble like some of todays youngsters!.Its a shame its been demolished but its the way things are nowadays peoples social habits have changed,a night out drinking can be expensive and what with the smoking ban and the breathaliser that's the way things have changed,I myself sometimes can,t be asked to get ready and go out and once upon a time you couldn,t keep me in!.Maybe I,m getting old and lazy!.

You could hire someone from the Arbourthorne to do some dirty work for you, that's verbal and physical assault !

I first saw the frank White band back in the late 60s at the arbour there hotel and first saw joe cocker. Doing his first gig at the black swan in the 60s

The Arbour,as it known locally,has not been demolished yet although it is all fenced off awaiting it's fate. Had some good nights in there in70s 80sand90s.

does anyone know how old the arbour was ?

does anyone know how old the arbour was ?

opened 10th Feb 1939

You could hire someone from the Arbourthorne to do some dirty work for you, that's verbal and physical assault !

I dangled a carrot, but nobody had a bite ???????????

opened 10th Feb 1939

I'm guessing that the Elm Tree was built in the 1930s both were very similar in design. On EBay the old freestanding sign for the Elm Tree is up for auction two bids so far .

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Sorry to bump thread, As the Arbourthone pub been flattened yet or anyone know when its coming down ?

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 15:25 ----------

I dangled a carrot, but nobody had a bite ???????????

Ha ha we got you sussed in any case you went to the Cannon for that service.

I'm guessing that the Elm Tree was built in the 1930s both were very similar in design. On EBay the old freestanding sign for the Elm Tree is up for auction two bids so far .

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Sorry to bump thread, As the Arbourthone pub been flattened yet or anyone know when its coming down ?

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 15:25 ----------

Ha ha we got you sussed in any case you went to the Cannon for that service.

---------------

Hi Crookedspire, I see you knew of the Elm Tree manor top, sadly

to say it was knocked down last week it will be Morrisons petrol

station at some point later, dont forget to top up. :hihi::hihi:

---------------

Hi Crookedspire, I see you knew of the Elm Tree manor top, sadly

to say it was knocked down last week it will be Morrisons petrol

station at some point later, dont forget to top up. :hihi::hihi:

Something to looked forward another petrol station no doubt the same boring design seen elsewhere. Unlike the familiar Elm Tree façade.