Old Pub Landlords Where are they now

Anyone know what happened to Ken Cooney, former landlord of The Big Gun in the Wicker and then in the mid-80's he moved to a pub at Dore?

Best pub in the Wicker when he kept it. Now it's the only pub in the Wicker.

what about Albert and Pauline House who had the Wordsworth Tavern in 80`s/90`s ?

Ruth at the Crown on Scotland Street was a real **** bird.

Big John in the Adelphi another famous landlord [long gone].

Alf Ward at the Gardeners rest on Neepsend Lane [Alf would take his wig of and throw it at you ].

Alan Pashley at the Freedom on South Road [a gentleman]

Alan and Mary Ward at the same pub, [Alan would chuck Mike Tyson out if necessary no messing]

Bernard Frith at the Rose House on South Road at Walkley,[used to drop maggots into the lasses shopping bags ,they would then go back to Duggies the butcher threatening to hang him from a meat hook] One night when it was raining cats and dogs he came through the front door wearing a frogman's suit complete with snorkel he then served behind the bar and talked daft]. Bernard would also cut off a complete strangers tie and throw it in the bin how he never got lynched I will never know.

Les May at the Hallamshire on Commonside as well as the Shakespeare at Shalesmoor Les knew every customer by name and was always good for a loan if some one was skint.

Edited by cuttsie

Anyone remember Fred Norton who was landlord of Rotherham House and Old Number 12 in the 1950's?

Ruth at the Crown on Scotland Street was a real **** bird.

Big John in the Adelphi another famous landlord [long gone].

Alf Ward at the Gardeners rest on Neepsend Lane [Alf would take his wig of and throw it at you ].

Alan Pashley at the Freedom on South Road [a gentleman]

Alan and Mary Ward at the same pub, [Alan would chuck Mike Tyson out if necessary no messing]

Bernard Frith at the Rose House on South Road at Walkley,[used to drop maggots into the lasses shopping bags ,they would then go back to Duggies the butcher threatening to hang him from a meat hook] One night when it was raining cats and dogs he came through the front door wearing a frogman's suit complete with snorkel he then served behind the bar and talked daft]. Bernard would also cut off a complete strangers tie and throw it in the bin how he never got lynched I will never know.

Les May at the Hallamshire on Commonside as well as the Shakespeare at Shalesmoor Les new every customer by name and was always good for a loan if some one was skint.

ruth at the crown. is that the same ruth that owned r and bs (ruth and barrys) ?

ruth at the crown. is that the same ruth that owned r and bs (ruth and barrys) ?

That's her made you very welcome she did:hihi:

That's her made you very welcome she did:hihi:

used to drink in there when I was about 22. she used to frighten me a bit but she was very , very friendly :) , a proper old fashioned landlady , big hair, big makeup and big .... personality:)

Last I heard about Ken Cooney was he was helping out at the Devonshire in Dore. Prior to thsat he and John ran the Dore Moor Inn and after that the Hare and Hounds also in Dore. I understand he has now retired after his partner John died some years ago.

My grandparents had the neepsend tavern in the 1950s and then halfway house in 70s then moved to Cumberland head in Beighton about 1971. Joe n

Alice Siddall

Joe and Alice Siddall still had the Cumberlands Head in the 1980's.

Joe and Alice Siddall still had the Cumberlands Head in the 1980's.

Yes they retired in about 88/89 Joe died not long after and Alice died 2 years ago. I grew up in Cumberland. My parents used to help behind bar, Brian and Linda. It was brilliant growing up there