Sheffield Shops That Are Now Extinct !!

Well remembered. It may be a co-incidence, but during the war (I sound like Uncle Albert from Fools and Horses) there was a famous place in Ecclesfield where Hulley's used to sell ice-cream. It was the only place (probably) you could get it round the Shiregreen area, no street vendors then. On a Sunday afternoon, carrying a basin and lid, I would run all the way down from Oaks Fold through Hartley Brook and into Barnsley Road (where Colley Road turns off) and Hulley's was on the right down a long drive - with a long queue for ice cream. Askey's wafers were extra.

If it was a sunny day I had to race home -all uphill- back to Oaks Fold before the ice cream had melted and turned to milk. No wonder I'm fit!

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 19:14 ----------

Hello Hauxwell,

Re Horne's Closing. I'm pretty certain they ceased trading in King Street end of 1974 or just into 1975. I have reason to remember because I bought a suit from their new premises in Pinstone Street in 1975. That's as close as I can get to a precise date. You're right about Stewart being a decent man but didn't know about his painting prowess. Thank you for that. Apart from the suit, I lost interest in the company after they moved. It's over 40 years now and if I've got any of it wrong, I do apologise.

K+D records, in the entrance to Castle Market. And Mikes Bookstall. And what about that cheap shop down the Moor which had a yellow signage, and sold some really cheap tat?? It was down the side St near Suggs I think???

There used to be a pikelet shop near the junction of Hill Street & London Road. It was just a bit further up from the camera shop. Nearby was Fretwell- Downings, who were bakers during the 1950s but later branched out into other things.

...My parents started making their own chocolates there around 1977/1978, then they moved to just off West Street and later on, they were at Ridgeway Craft Centre...

Did they own the shop that made the little flat flower-shaped chocolates? Stacks of milk, plain and white ones wrapped in cellophane? I used to buy a stash of them every time I visited the Craft Centre. That shop was excellent.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the current status of Ridgeway Craft Centre? I used to visit it regularly from soon after it opened until I left Sheffield in the very early 90s. The last I heard it had gone into decline and the units were to be converted to housing.

Did they own the shop that made the little flat flower-shaped chocolates? Stacks of milk, plain and white ones wrapped in cellophane? I used to buy a stash of them every time I visited the Craft Centre. That shop was excellent.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the current status of Ridgeway Craft Centre? I used to visit it regularly from soon after it opened until I left Sheffield in the very early 90s. The last I heard it had gone into decline and the units were to be converted to housing.

Yes, that was probably them... They retired in 1997 and sold the business to someone else. Last time, I saw it, it had moved to the garden centre part behind the craft centre, they've moved from there, but I don't know where to!!!!!

The Craft Centre itself looks totally defunct now - all boarded up....

Glad you enjoyed the chocolates!!!! (I did too..........!!!) :) :)

Did anyone mention Bunney's or was it Bunny'on the corner at the castle market

Yes Sweetdexter, they have had a mention, but when the Castle Market was built below Exchange Street, Bunney's moved into new premises on the lower side of Exchange St. at the bottom of the steps.They were Hosiery and retail clothiers.

Before that, their old shop either side of the Norfolk Market Hall was taken over by Roger's musical instruments and sheet music. The left hand entrance was musical 'hardware' and the right hand shop was sheet music. Nothing was very orderly in there as you find nowadays. All the music was in piles and the lady behind the counter (she had a 'lazy' eye) - always harassed- had to flick through lots of music to find what you wanted. The only sheet music easily accessible was the latest 'Hit Parade' song sheets. The wireless (radio)' Hit Parade' was based on the sales of sheet music in those days. I've spent many hours in there, searching!

Yes, I remember the one at the bottom of west bar, can't remember what it was called, but the window was full of guitars, saxophones and cameras. There was a model shop down that way too, near Brook Shaw's Ford and Carrs Motors.

galaxie exchange or something like it.

What was the name of the educational bookshop just behind the City Hall?

Hello Mr Blue Owl

I don't recall an actual book shop behind the City Hall, but on Holly Lane, which is the same area, was Andrews Craft Shop and Art Supplies. Ground floor were crayons and paints, crepe paper and other coloured paper for craft work etc. even blunt nosed scissors for children, the same as would be used in infant schools. Upstairs were technical supplies, drawing boards, geometric equipment things for adult use, night school and suchlike. They were also printers.

They did have reading matter, not quite in hard back book form, but pamphlets and children's publications, instructive matter. By the side of Andrews, adjacentl on Holly Lane, were Northend's Printers (actually addressed as West Street). Old Kelly's directories only show G.D. Andrews and Co (Printers) as inhabiting Holly Lane.

What was the name of the educational bookshop just behind the City Hall?

I mentioned this at post 36. It was Andrews on Holly Lane, certainly in the 1950s. Ground floor was art/craft supplies but upstairs was the bookshop. I used to haunt the place, absolutely loved just being there and sometimes actually had a book token or money from birthday/Christmas so I could buy a book, usually Chalet School or Swallows and Amazons. It wasn't "just" an academic book shop.

Somewhere on Sheffield Forum there is a thread or at least some posts about the closure of Andrews and I'm pretty certain a mention that the staff put up a notice saying if people had bought from them instead of Amazon, they wouldn't have closed.

Not exactly a shop, but 'Big Ada' sold things !