The Bell - Fitzalan Square

There wasn't a Commercial, there was the Kings Arms in Commercial St.

Hasn't anyone read the fantastic articles on the old pubs of Sheffield in the the Stars Retro supplement? It's title is "Dus Tha Fancy Pint", it's amazing just how many pubs we've lost.

---------------------

I live too far away now to get the Star but Googled and found some "Dus Tha Fancy Pint" on the Star website, thanks.

Kings Arms, remember that one, 95 Walkley bus almost at the door. Lot's of nudge nudge types in there lol One lad asked if I wanted to buy a watch, rolled up his sleeve and had about 20 bloody watches all the way up his arm, all with expandable bracelets of course. Liked the Bell too, Remember they had a big weighing scale near the toilets and I was in there on my 18th birthday and weighed 18 stone , went to work on that and was down to 12 stone by my 21st .Never been higher than 13 stone since.

---------

Hi Lazarus, Yes your right it was the Kings Arms, it was just force of

habit me saying Commercial when we was out with mates we just use

to say lets go to commercial for one. :hihi::hihi::hihi: Brian.

Re Bell Fitzallan Square. A relative kept the Pub about 70s Albert and Joyce Drabble.

----------------------

I agree it was the Kings Arms Hotel on Commercial Street just below the bank on the top corner, Fitzalan Square side. From memory I think it had revolving doors and I think I drank Double Diamond in there.

Of other "Commercials" There was The Livingstone Commercial and Temperance Hotel that was at one time at the bottom of King Street above the Brunswick. That building I think was destroyed in The Blitz.

There was also, a long time ago, The Imperial Family and Commercial Hotel on Castle Street but I think that may also have been a temperence hotel.

Also The Tontine on Haymarket had a full title of The Tontine Commercial Hotel.

In my times however, though I used all the other pubs mentioned near The Square, I don't recall a Commercial pub in the area.

Yes Kings Arms, revolving doors, snooker room Bass ale (good pint) and Higsons bitter (worst pint ever brewed) . Happy days!

Refresh my memory. Back in the sixties, worked at Barclays on Fitzalan Square and used to sometimes pop in the pub on Commercial Street. I'm remembering it as the King's Arms. There was a small upstairs room often frequented by homosexuals, which I'm sorry to say, back then took our attention. Thankfully, I've grown up since.