Old Pub Landlords Where are they now

My mother and wife both were cooks for Ken at the Gun for quite a few years.

Ken was a great guy as a landlord, Remember once asked me to leave the premises for speaking in favour of the miners in the 1984 strike. He welcomed me back the next day tho'. Great food too, Great everything , almost the perfect pub!

Anyone know what happened to Ken Cooney, former landlord of The Big Gun in the Wicker and then in the mid-80's he moved to a pub at Dore?

As others have said. Ken went on to run the Dore Moor with his partner John. They then went to the Hare and Hounds in Dore and then helped out at the Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow. They really knew how to run a pub and had a big following wherever they went. I remember when they had the Dore Moor and my dad taking me there at Xmas, you couldn't see the ceiling or walls for Xmas decorations. Good times.

Yes they retired in about 88/89 Joe died not long after and Alice died 2 years ago. I grew up in Cumberland. My parents used to help behind bar, Brian and Linda. It was brilliant growing up there

Hi-

I am writing a book about Sheffield pubs and I wondered if you had any pictures/ memories you could share of your grandparents pubs? Please pm or email [email protected] for more info.

Jamie

Eric and Irene at the Royal Oak on Cemetery Road.

The Sheffield mankers club was the Oak.

There was a young barmaid there whose parents had the Prince of Wales on Division Street

There was a young barmaid there whose parents had the Prince of Wales on Division Street

I think that the Prince is now called the Parrot and Frog . I remember when it had a glass panel in the bar room floor the lads used to beg the landlord to go and change the barrels for him:hihi:

The old Land lord was a guy called les.

Was it Lol and Madge at the Raven (Devonshire / West Street) in the 60s when I were a student?

Anybody remember Clarrie and Joan Whittaker ?

Landlord and Landlady of The Junction Inn, Brightside Lane in the 60s.

----------"---------- of The Douglas Inn, Parkwood Springs in the 70s.

----------"---------- of The Bulls Head, High St.Mexborough in the 70/80s.

Wonderful people. :thumbsup:

The pub i use to go in mostly down Attercliffe was the Carlton Inn bottom

of Staniforth Rd, the Landlord/ Landlady was Lesley and Gillian.

They kept a good house but have retired some years ago now and went back to

Colchester.

Any one recall that in certain pubs -especially 1960's, some licenencees had 'Charicatures' of themselves in frames behind the bar, excellent reproductions, by 'whoever'.

I think that the Prince is now called the Parrot and Frog . I remember when it had a glass panel in the bar room floor the lads used to beg the landlord to go and change the barrels for him:hihi:

The old Land lord was a guy called les.

Are you sure it was Les and not Des?

Mick and sue pinder Huntsman pub Barnsley Rd .. Always alright for a sub till Friday !

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 08:21 ----------

Mick and sue pinder Huntsman pub Barnsley Rd .. Always alright for a sub till Friday !

Sid and Mary Grant ran the forge on newhall rd and rising sun jenkin rd nicest couple you could ever meet !

Joan Lee

Dog and partridge Attercliffe Road early 50s

Wellington Brightside Lane 56/60

Wellington Darnall 60/70

Hearts of Oak Holmesfield 70s and 80s

Richmond Rotherham 80s and 90s

Still around aged 93

Wrote a book two years ago "Behind bars" published by Amazon and an interesting memoir.