Doreen and the fox!

Does anyone remember Doreen Butler who used to walk a fox around the Basegreen estate on a lead?. Would have been the late 60s/early 70s. She lived on Lister Crescent with I believe her grandparents?. If I remember correctly there was an article about it in the Star at the time. She will be approaching 60 now I would think.

Doreen and the Fox.

Subtitled: Was it asleep, or was it foxing?

Greetings Mike-S,

1. Firstly, let me take this opportunity to sort of apologise for the corny post you are about to read.

I seem to vaguely recall a Doreen, but(ler) I don’t remember her walking around the estate with a fox on a lead. However, I did occasionally see a (G)lead-less fox wandering around the estate looking for Quarry (Vale Road). The fox (lane) was eventually found drowned in the Shirebrook River, and was buried there. It was almost as good as being buried at Sea (Grave Crescent). I think it was Doreen I saw on Fox Lane, when I was out on an occasional Jaunt(y. Road), on my way to Welwyn (Road) Garden City which is quite near to Elstree (Road) Studios. I once saw a White (lane) fox one evening. It was snowing.

I often got a B-lister (Drive) on my foot when I walked around Basegreen (Road) Estate. The estate had plenty of green Grass(Thorpe Road). I recall another occasion when I was near the top of the estate one winter’s evening. In passing, I happened to take a quick peek through a window, and saw on a TV screen a film scene featuring Kit Carson (Mount)ing his house.

2. Jaunty Park. I remember Jaunty Park having loads of young lads playing football at week-ends. It seems these days (A.D.), the only people you see in the park is the occasional chav (what is a chav?), I know what charver is though. The chav doesn’t play football, but uses the park as a short cut, on his way to Jaunty Way shops to buy a £1.50 frozen bangers and mash meal. Let’s hope chav’s mummy has a microwave oven at hooam.

3. Going down Lister Crescent (?) on the left, there is a very large grassy green area hidden down a driveway atween the houses. What is that large space for? Was it deliberately made? Is it still there?

Was (Is) it:-

A. A play area for children. If so, why no slide, swings, roundabout etc.

B. A place for tenant gatherings. E.g. picnics.

C. A place to celebrate events like the new Queen’s birthdays, or perhaps for any future D-Day type parties etc.

All the best to you Mike-S.

Zakes AKA Selig.

Well you've surpassed yourself this time Zakes mate, you've obviously got too much spare time on your hands!!. My Aunt/Uncle/Cousin used to live in the house to the right of the gap you're describing. The grassed area was where I used to play (with Anita Davies, Kath Elshaw etc). The land has shire brook running down it (which I assume you're already aware of from your anecdote) and I assume it was left like this to denote the old boundary between Derbyshire & Yorkshire. I spent many hours in that stream as a kid (and in the grass when it was long as well!). Not sure if its still like that as I moved away from Sheff donkeys years ago. Happy days.

Well you've surpassed yourself this time Zakes mate, you've obviously got too much spare time on your hands!!. My Aunt/Uncle/Cousin used to live in the house to the right of the gap you're describing. The grassed area was where I used to play (with Anita Davies, Kath Elshaw etc). The land has shire brook running down it (which I assume you're already aware of from your anecdote) and I assume it was left like this to denote the old boundary between Derbyshire & Yorkshire. I spent many hours in that stream as a kid (and in the grass when it was long as well!). Not sure if its still like that as I moved away from Sheff donkeys years ago. Happy days.

I always thought the boundary was just across the road from the Red Lion at Town End .Town End is the clue.

I always thought the boundary was just across the road from the Red Lion at Town End .Town End is the clue.

Ah we lived on Cyclops street but I can't recall any one eyed monsters lol

The boundary did pass the red lion, then across the road to between Seagrave Crescent and Lister Avenue and down the hill between them.