Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

this is a direct plea to ALL the cyclists who cycle along Penistone Road through Hillsborough into/towards the city centre.

You cycle on the road, NEXT to your specifically marked out and nicely surfaced CYCLE LANES. Yet you don't use the cycle lanes.... *WHY ?* :huh:

PLEASE USE THE CYCLE LANES. Especially the Paramedics and Police who cycle this route and don't use the cycle lanes....:rant:

You have the luxury of your own cycle lane, away from all of us smelly car drivers. Please use it. For your own safety.

The number of near misses i see every day due to cars having to manouvere around cyclists who are not using the cycle lanes is ridiculous - the cars/traffic often swerve back towards you cyclists as no-one will let them pull over to avoid you.

thanks - with love, hugs and hoping not to hit you cyclists on your ass with my wing mirror as i attempt to move round you

xgrifterx

Edited by xgrifterx
spelling

this is a direct plea to ALL the cyclists who cycle along Penistone Road through Hillsborough into/towards the city centre.

You cycle on the road, NEXT to your specifically marked out and nicely surfaced CYCLE LANES. Yet you don't use the cycle lanes.... *WHY ?* :huh:

PLEASE USE THE CYCLE LANES. Especially the Paramedics and Police who cycle this route and don't use the cycle lanes....:rant:

You have the luxury of your own cycle lane, away from all of us smelly car drivers. Please use it. For your own safety.

The number of near misses i see every day due to cars having to manouvere around cyclists who are not using the cycle lanes is ridiculous - the cars/traffic often swerve back towards you cyclists as no-one will let them pull over to avoid you.

thanks - with love, hugs and hoping not to hit you cyclists on your ass with my wing mirror as i attempt to move round you

xgrifterx

It would be safer if the incompetent drivers who cannot safely pass a cyclist catch the bus instead.

Cycles are allowed on the road.

The Highway Code acknowledges that cyclists may prefer to use the road.

Using the road is usually quicker.

Using the road avoids all the broken glass and other detritus that often finds its way onto cycle paths. (admittedly not usually the case on Penistone Road, I think).

Cycle paths often include lots of junctions and interfaces where it is necessary to cross other roads - this can be more dangerous than going with the flow on the road itself.

But back to your reasoning as to why cyclists should use the path - it appears to be because of the poor standard of driving, not cycling. So, cyclists are put in danger by bad driving, and you seem to be blaming the cyclists. Wouldn't your efforts be better spent in trying to improve driving ability - particularly your own if you are coming close to hitting them with your mirrors. Stop blaming the victim - put your own house in order first.

Edit - I forgot to add, if drivers cannot safely overtake, they should wait.

Another edit: It can sometimes be a problem, especially for the faster cyclists, to pass pedestrians on the cycle paths. Some pedestrians tend to wander between the footpath and the cycle path without realising they are two different tracks. As a result, cyclists are slowed down even further. So the faster cyclists are less inclined to use them.

Edited by Eater Sundae

i just want other cyclists to realise how dangerous it is and common sense should prevail, there's an empty cycle lane or two chocca-block lanes of fumey dangerous traffic. which one to choose?? its a no brainer.

i usually walk, and have cycled it a few times. i'm by no means a fast cyclist like the ones you mention. but somedays i have to use the car. i've never had a problem with debris/pedestrians on pen rd, just need to look out for drop kerbs.

when you are in the car, when you have a lorry up your ass, a bus wedging you in on the right and a cyclist on your left and another van infront you can't stop/wait, you are penned in so you have to manouvere out or cause a rear end shunt a / or side swipe accident with the bus if you stop. its just such a risk for the cyclist, cyclists are so vulnerable compared to other road users.

i use cycle lanes for my own safety. i once witnessed a female cyclist being crushed to death under the back wheel of a cement lorry (in another town) - she was on the road, with a cycle lane to her left. what a waste of life. and it is something i will have in my mind for the rest of my life. call me a smelly car driver and quote the highway code but yes, we have to share the road space, but if something's provided to get you there safer and quicker - i'd use the traffic free cycle lane anyday. none of us own the road.

keep safe

xgx

(snip)

when you are in the car, when you have a lorry up your ass, a bus wedging you in on the right and a cyclist on your left and another van infront you can't stop/wait, you are penned in so you have to manouvere out or cause a rear end shunt a / or side swipe accident with the bus if you stop. its just such a risk for the cyclist, cyclists are so vulnerable compared to other road users. (snip)

You still seem to be excusing bad driving. There is absolutely no reason for any driver to be in the position you describe - and so put a cyclist in danger. If there is not enough room to overtake safely, you do not overtake.

What should we do on Abbey lane, now those are some weird cycle lanes. !

Myself, i prefer the road to cycle lanes, as the previous poster points out most incidents are down to bad driving.

mid manouvere side swiping by other road users (changing lanes without looking, or undertaking the queue of traffic/deciding they don't want to go right after all near the dog track and pulling out to the left) into the sides of other vehicles who are already making a clean over take of a cyclist is indeed dangerous.

well, when the bus strikes are on, there will be less buses to hit us all.

like i said, keep safe.

anyone know if SCC / big companies / cycle group are handing out hi-vi vests etc again for cyclists like they did last winter?

xgx

xgrifterx, is that what you ride. ?

not seen one of those in years.

I believe that the more cyclists use the roads, then drivers will become more used to dealing with cyclists, and the safer it will be for the cyclists.

I use some cycle paths, but not all. For example: There are two cycle routes between Meadowhall and the town centre (either along the 5 weirs walk, or along the canal). They are nice quiet routes, but they probably take twice as long as using the main roads. Also, you are left to your own devices to cross several roads.

t

Why have you singled out paramedics and police with special attention?

xgrifterx

You clearly need to book some extra driving lessons. If you're passing cyclists close enough to clip them with their wing mirror then you're passing far too close. If there isn't room to move around then you need to stay behind until there is room. There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for passing so close and it's extremely poor and dangerous driving.

Finally. Please try riding a bike on the road once in a while so that you can appreciate the situation from a cyclists point of view.

i just want other cyclists to realise how dangerous it is and common sense should prevail, there's an empty cycle lane or two chocca-block lanes of fumey dangerous traffic. which one to choose?? its a no brainer.

i usually walk, and have cycled it a few times. i'm by no means a fast cyclist like the ones you mention. but somedays i have to use the car. i've never had a problem with debris/pedestrians on pen rd, just need to look out for drop kerbs.

when you are in the car, when you have a lorry up your ass, a bus wedging you in on the right and a cyclist on your left and another van infront you can't stop/wait, you are penned in so you have to manouvere out or cause a rear end shunt a / or side swipe accident with the bus if you stop. its just such a risk for the cyclist, cyclists are so vulnerable compared to other road users.

i use cycle lanes for my own safety. i once witnessed a female cyclist being crushed to death under the back wheel of a cement lorry (in another town) - she was on the road, with a cycle lane to her left. what a waste of life. and it is something i will have in my mind for the rest of my life. call me a smelly car driver and quote the highway code but yes, we have to share the road space, but if something's provided to get you there safer and quicker - i'd use the traffic free cycle lane anyday. none of us own the road.

keep safe

xgx

a lorry up your ass? he aint goin to run into you if you slow down,and how often do see buses in the outside lane on pen rd? anyone with a brain will pull further over so you can pass a cyclist.

Why have you singled out paramedics and police with special attention?

You clearly need to book some extra driving lessons. If you're passing cyclists close enough to clip them with their wing mirror then you're passing far too close. If there isn't room to move around then you need to stay behind until there is room. There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for passing so close and it's extremely poor and dangerous driving.

Finally. Please try riding a bike on the road once in a while so that you can appreciate the situation from a cyclists point of view.

i strongley believe all car drivers should do at least 1 year on a motor cycle before being allowed to drive a car. i do both so i know to look out for bikes of all kinds and treat them with respect.it's not nice when someone over takes too close....and talking of over taking too close,you are supposed to go into the other lane to over take.

i am a cyclist and my bike is a saresen xess II and a nice price tag of £750 and i plan to ride my bike on and off the road without and drivers complaining as my bike is worth more than some cars on the road anyways these days.

maybe some 'drivers' should give thoughts to them on a bike