New Computer / Vista

Windows Vista : screen / text etc is half size : gone through the procedure Start etc but cannot find the increase mechanism. Also : no Word programme : is there a free download / safe ?

AS for the text size have you tried to press ctrl & + at the same time?As for Word just install Libre Office ,it is free and just as good as word.

how about from Start Menu - Control Panel \ Display and change setting there

Text size is usually default at 100% but 125% is a lot bigger, 150% is HUGE

Word is part of Microsoft Office, older versions of Office would have cost £100+ (mine did) but the free ones are pretty good these days. A pretty safe place to find free software is here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

AS for the text size have you tried to press ctrl & + at the same time?As for Word just install Libre Office ,it is free and just as good as word.

Thanks

It worked on Sheff Forum size but not elsewhere . My old comp has Word docs so I need a Word programme .

Thanks

It worked on Sheff Forum size but not elsewhere . My old comp has Word docs so I need a Word programme .

Not necessarily. LibreOffice can open and save documents in Word-compatible formats. It does all the major things you could do in Word, just without some of the more advanced options that few people would even notice were missing. Might be worth a try before shelling out for Word.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

There is also Open Office which is free. When you save a document in either of these programmes there is a prompt to ask you how you want it saving i.e. which file extension. Save them in the Word version that they were created in.

Vista reaches end of life in April of this year so there will be no more updates, meaning that the computer will become less secure. You should be thinking about updating to Windows 7 or 10.

Thanks

Do what Skink suggested.

There is also Open Office which is free. When you save a document in either of these programmes there is a prompt to ask you how you want it saving i.e. which file extension. Save them in the Word version that they were created in.

Vista reaches end of life in April of this year so there will be no more updates, meaning that the computer will become less secure. You should be thinking about updating to Windows 7 or 10.

Used Open Office long ago : have now downloaded it . This comp is a stop gap : Vista is on the way out and the comp is 10 years old . Will need to have the info from the HDDS on my main comp , temporarily , lodged on some device whilst I seek out my next comp .

Copy everything you need from your old P.C. onto a memory stick or external hard drive and then just copy them back onto your new P.C. when you get it.

Alternatively (or as well as), put everything into a Dropbox folder. Install Dropbox on the new computer, log in and everything will be downloaded.

Copy everything you need from your old P.C. onto a memory stick or external hard drive and then just copy them back onto your new P.C. when you get it.

The screen just keeps looping between the windows start up page and the load up stopping : about 40 seconds , total .

The motherboard is faulty , causing the HDD problems , I am told by the people in the workshop , so a retrieval will need to be done by them .

You might be able to retrieve your files using a Linux distro on usb or cd. A couple of links here and here.