City’s waste contract set for review

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/citys-waste-contract-set-for-review/

If you scroll down you will see this,

"The main changes proposed include replacing the blue box with an additional recycling bin; charging for new and replacement black bins and green bins and changing collection times from 7am to 4pm Monday to Friday, to 6am to 9pm."

I have had problems with scum bag thief's pinching my bin because they probably didn't look after theirs. Also i have see bin men just throwing the bins around willy nilly damaging them. So will the poor sods who look after their bins will be made to pay for a replacement bin if theirs are pinched or damaged by someone else ? i can see this leading to a lot of trouble if this is going to be the case.

But at least with the 'brown bin' we can get rid of the plastic that is recyclable, but which the dustbin nasties (aka refuse collection operatives) won't allow in.

The number of times I have had my blue bin rejected because of 'contamination' which has turned out to be recyclable plastic (the same type as a bottle but in a different shape) is more than one!!

Vile-olia had their chance, and its about time it was taken away as they appear to be incompetent.

How much will it cost council to pull out of the contract as I read it was for 30 odd years although I'm not sure how long has run on the contract allready

How much will it cost council to pull out of the contract as I read it was for 30 odd years although I'm not sure how long has run on the contract allready

Says here the contract runs until 2036 !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38571086

Bloody hell, this council haven't a clue how to negotiate a contact, have they ?

Why is it the numpties that sign these decades-long contracts bugger off shortly afterwards, leaving us to suffer ?

From http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/new-bin-collections-proposals-revealed-as-sheffield-council-plans-to-ditch-veolia-1-8329966

"Following the decision of the Leader on September 28, 2016, to implement the Commercial Strategy, the purpose of this cabinet report is to recommend alternative service delivery solutions for each service area and, where appropriate, to procure contractor(s) to deliver the services post April 2018."

"A deal between the council and the waste management giant was signed in 2001, initially for 30 years. However in 2004, this was extended for another five years to 2036."

You have to ask why the contract was extended after only 3 years - perhaps someone in the council had a vested interest? Who knows?

Who in there right mind does a 30 year contract. So much in the worl world can change in just 18 month's. Wonder who got the back hander here then

You have to ask why the contract was extended after only 3 years - perhaps someone in the council had a vested interest? Who knows?

Its simple, SCC make money by selling on the heat that is sold to them from burning our waste in Veolia's incinerator. By extending the contract for that length of time they are guaranteed an increasing income. According to Cllr Lodge they also benefit from a share in the profit made from any recycling done by Veolia, although I find that part hard to believe given past contracts.

Edited by apelike

Guest makapaka
Its simple, SCC make money by selling on the heat that is sold to them from burning our waste in Veolia's incinerator. By extending the contract for that length of time they are guaranteed an increasing income. According to Cllr Lodge they also benefit from a share in the profit made from any recycling done by Veolia, although I find that part hard to believe given past contracts.

The incinerator also provides heat. It's a good model and environmentally friendly.

The incinerator also provides heat. It's a good model and environmentally friendly.

Not so sure its that environmentally friendly. It produces C02, plenty of toxic ash which has to be disposed of, and can also be a source of air pollutants.

Guest makapaka
Not so sure its that environmentally friendly. It produces C02, plenty of toxic ash which has to be disposed of, and can also be a source of air pollutants.

The co2 output is reduced at source and reduces landfill. No fired energy generation is perfect but energy from waste is decent enough.

Maybe "friendly" was wrong word but you know what I mean.

Edited by makapaka

Does anyone have any idea regarding my question, which was,

So will the poor sods who look after their bins will be made to pay for a replacement bin if theirs are pinched or damaged by someone else ?

Typical of today's thinking ... rob the less well off and line the pockets of the well off !