Failed to logon issue?

Hello I am having trouble with my other laptop it had been working ok recently a little bit slow I barely use it I tried to use it yesterday and the user profile service failed the logon coming up so I logged into the admin and did a system restore to a earlier point I can now log in to it on the other account but it is now going extremely slow to the point you can't open anythign without it crashing...

Is there anything I can do? its windows 7 dell inspiron about 8 years old now

Can you open Task Manager and see if anything is hammering the processor? If you don't see anything unusual try Resource Monitor and check for heavy disk usage.

I'd be tempted to boot into safe mode first and get your files off ASAP (assuming you don't have backups?).

Once you've got your files off you could use the Recovery Utility and restore the OS. If you find you still have the issue after restoring, it points to hardware (probably the drive).

Okay I will try and do that it works fine for about 5 -10 mins then it just freezes and you cant do anything even ctrl alt delete ?

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 13:44 ----------

Hello thanks I have opened task manager nothing looked suspect at first then all of a sudden hundreds of javaws.exe started appearing on there I ended it which stopped the opening but then I got a message which I couldn't turn off so I went and unistalled Java .. have I done the right thing now I am restarting it see what happens

Also it wouldn't let me open Avg so is this some kind of virus / malware then?

Hello thank you I appreciate that I have downloaded the scanner thanks again for the help!

Hello thank you I appreciate that I have downloaded the scanner thanks again for the help!

You're very welcome. Post again if it turns up anything.

The saftey scanner is still scanning from 2pm yesterday!!! 2million items scanned it is right at the end now hopefully should end soon it doesn't say any virus's or infections found

Hi no its not it still says there is over half of free storage left ? Should I now run Malware bytes ive never used it

Could be HDD failure

Are you able to go to the manufacturers website and download the HDD tools to check it?

Hi thanks Im not really sure but it seems to be working fine as normal now ? all smooth ...

---------- Post added 13-01-2017 at 10:28 ----------

although when I do go on task manager there are 78 processes cpu is 60% and I only have this tab open nothing else running I have 100 things that are not running is there anything I should do about them they just say stopped? and physical memory 62%