Help ………. Internet service problem

Hi,

This post isn't about a computer issue but it IS about needing help with the internet.

I have installed some home cctv cameras and they are connected to my home wifi router to enable me to check them whilst away from home on my mobile phone ….. "GREAT" ….. "FANTASTIC" ….. works a treat …. UNTIL there is a blip in the electricity supply or a blip in the internet at which point the ip address changes and my phone does not pick up the signal as it only has the old ip address ….. i've beeb told that i need a "domain"?? which will cost me a small annual fee and that this "domain" will automatically send the new ip address to my mobile should there be any blips in service enabling me to keep linked to the cctv system.

as you may tell from the above i'm not a tech head by any stretch of the imagination but i am willing to pay a fee if someone can help me sort this problem out ( preferably before i get burgled ) :-)

Many Thanks

Dale

I'm sure it's a static IP address you need as from what you are describing your IP address is constantly changing so I'm guessing it's what my provider talk talk refers to as a dynamic IP address. Not very tech savvy myself but I think this may be what your problem is if your IP address keeps changing.

Yep the problem i have is that SKY ( my internet provider ) don't do static IP addresses and we really don't want to move from sky , i was told that there is a domain that i could subscribe to which would keep the signal between cctv and mobile phone even if IP address changes ??

You want something called dynamic DNS - have a look here.... dyn.com

Will have a look when i get home ( i work away ) but for the money i would hope it does lol …….. will look into dynamic DNS , thank you .

Yep the problem i have is that SKY ( my internet provider ) don't do static IP addresses and we really don't want to move from sky , i was told that there is a domain that i could subscribe to which would keep the signal between cctv and mobile phone even if IP address changes ??

Sky do have static IPs (ignore the customer service bods who say they don't; ISP tech support is a transient job!).

Whether you can get it free or not depends on the type of connection you have. If you have one of the Fibre packages you will be able to get a static IP free (if you talk to the right person in customer services).

If you are an ADSL/Broadband Unlimited customer you can ask them to upgrade you to "Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro", the bad news is that it's £60 a year more expensive, and there's very little benefit apart from a static IP. I'd suggest that it isn't worth the expense.

Dynamic DNS should serve you fine. If you're using the Sky Hub it has a built in Dynamic DNS client (look in Advanced/Dynamic DNS on the web interface). Compatible services include noip (free, as long as you log in every 30 days), and dyns.cx (who ask for a one time donation).

Edited by Lastnet IT

Hi Dale

First of all.... are the cameras all set up with a static address on your Sky Hub?

This will prevent the cameras getting a different address should they be rebooted etc.

After this has been done you'll need to use DynDNS to act as a forward service. Once you have an account and you've entered the details into your Sky Hub it will then keep sending it's address to DynDNS. Whenever you go to your chosen website e.g. http://www.dale1966.DynDNS.com it will just forward you to your Sky Hub.

Notes:

Using your D.O.B in your username or email address is a really bad idea. You're giving away your personal information for free.